Escape Route

"I found the guards!"

The rest of the thugs hid the trio under one of their tables while the Captain of the Guard tromped in. "Where are the Riders? Where are they?!"

Everyone kept silent, wanting so desperately for Richie to live his dream, even if it meant they got nothing out of it.

"Find them! Turn the place upside-down, if you have to!"

As the rest of the soldiers looked, the thug with the hook quietly led them to a secret exit, opening it up for them. "Go," he urged. "Live your dream."

Smiling out into the daylight, Flynn replied, "I will."

"Your dream stinks. I was talkin' to him."

Rolling his eyes, Flynn went through, followed by Richie.

"Thanks for everything," Jaylyn said with a genuine smile and gave him a kiss on the cheek before she followed the two.

-

Vladimir held up the drunk old man to the guards. "I believe this is the man you're looking for. The girl must have gotten away."

"What a bitch," the old man stuttered, the head guard just rolling his eyes. Did they really think he would fall for that?

"Sir, there's no sign of the Riders," one of the soldiers told him.

Max, on the other hand, was trying to kick at the wall.

"Maximus? What's he doing?"

The passageway broke open.

"A passage! Come on, men. Let's go," the captain demanded, then ordered, "Conil, make sure those boys don't get away."

He was referring to Sideburn and Eyepatch, acting like they had given up. But Sideburn whiskered, "Play it safe or go get the crown."

-

The old man was still singing as he stumbled out of the bar. "I gotta dream...I got some dream...I..." He stopped upon seeing Mother Gothel, leaning against the building. "Oh, somebody get me a glass. 'Cause I just found myself...a tall drink...of water."

Laughing lightly, she slapped at him playfully. "Oh, stop it, ya big lug." While he was still laughing, she pressed him against a wall, Hoffman a dagger up to his nose. "Where's that tunnel lead out?"

"Knife!"

-

"Well, I've gotta say. Didn't know you had it in you back there. That was...pretty impressive," Jaylyn complimented as they walked out into the dark and towards freedom.

"I know!" he squealed. Then, more calmly, he cleared his throat and said nonchalantly, "I know...so, Jaylyn, Flynn...where are you from?"

Jaylyn was about to answer, but her partner-in-crime cut her off. "Whoa, whoa, sorry, Blondie. We don't do backstory. However, I'm becoming more interested in yours."

"Same. Now, I - I know we're not supposed to mention the hair."

"Nope."

"Or the mother."

"Uh-uh."

"Frankly, I'm too scared to ask about the frog."

"Chameleon."

"Nuance. Here's my question, though. If you want to see the lanterns so badly...why haven't you gone before?" she asked, genuinely curious.

Richie faltered for a minute, fiddling with his hands as he broke away from eye contact with them. "Uh, hey, well..."