fourteen. hackett house

fourteen.

. • -

hackett house

01:30 | AUGUST 23 - LYDIAHACKETT WOODS

HACKETT WOODS

"HOW are you feeling, Lyds?" Laura asked Lydia, who walked with her eyes to the ground.

"Please don't talk about it. It's taking all of my focus to manage it right now. It... hurts. Really bad. Like, all over." Lydia strained.

"Hey, it's okay. We're gonna get there soon. Alright?" Laura reassured her, placing her hand on Lydia's shoulder. "Hey, you're sure this is the right way?" She asked Ryan.

"Pretty sure, yeah." Ryan replied.

"'Pretty' or 'Definitely'?" Laura questioned.

"What do I look like? A tour guide?" Ryan retorted.

"Have you... actually been there before?" Laura asked.

"I mean... No..." Ryan answered reluctantly.

"Wait, seriously?" Laura exclaimed.

"I know as much as you do." Ryan said.

"How well do you know Chris Hackett?" Laura asked him curiously.

"Mr. H? Pretty well." Ryan replied.

"Like you're 'pretty sure' we're going the right way?" Laura mocked.

"When I first came to camp, I was going through some... personal shit, and Mr. H helped me sort it out." Ryan admitted. "He's a good guy. You don't know him like I do. You don't know him at all."

"Okay, okay. Jeez. Teacher's pet." Laura muttered.

"Why are you like this?" Ryan asked her in annoyance.

"Be quiet!"

Laura and Ryan both looked over at Lydia, halting their back and forth arguing.

"Both of you. For fuck's sake, can we just go? My body is in pain and hamburgers are starting to look really good right about now, so let's move." Lydia demanded with a slightly humorous chuckle even through the aggression of her tone.

The three were all quick to start walking again.

"Look, I'm just saying, I don't think anybody 'knows' anybody. Not really." Laura told Ryan as she walked.

"Well, I know Mr. H. And- And he'd never hurt any of us." Ryan claimed.

"Well, I know for a fact he's not the 'good guy' you think he is." Laura retorted.

"All he does is try to help people! That's what his whole camp is about. To help the kids." Ryan said.

"Yeah, I don't doubt it." Laura said sarcastically. "You know what I have to do, right?" She asked.