t h i r t e e n

Nin ann dhul marini dhaayo maleh

~He who has not traveled has no understanding~

travel enhances one's experience and wisdom

SHERMAKE

Because of the darkness Shermake did not know the time but it felt early. The water was warm and much to his surprise he could see his surroundings as clearly as he would on land. He hated to admit it, but the mermaid had allowed him to experience something incredible. He turned his head searching for his cousin and Amana.

"SHERMAKE!" He heard and quickly shielded his face in response to the jump scare. When nothing happened he slowly opened his eyes to find Mandeeq in front of him laughing.

"Well I am glad you're amused." Shermake said. He paused for a moment and stared at his two companions, he watched them as they spoke and understood them as they conversed.

"I still can't get over how we look." Shermake said.

Shemake looked down and glanced at his feet that are now fins, he examined his skin that has now been covered with scales. They shone with a slight iridescent light similar to Amana's. His hands looked foreign to him with his fingernails turned to short claws. He lifted his hand to touch his hair and was disgusted to feel his hair had a feathery texture unlike the bountiful and bouncy Afro he once had. Too much change. He thought.

"If it makes you feel any better, we don't even look like the real thing. Think of us as more mermaid adjacent." Mandeeq said. Shermake pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes. He stayed put and thought about it. He did not know what the right reaction was at this moment but he knew he should not waste it on anger.

The journey ahead of them would be long and dangerous. He did not think it was necessary to spend more time than they already have on something he had no control over. He decided to continue on with them and what is done is done.

"Okay." Shermake said finally.

"Okay?" Mandeeq replied.

"Okay." He repeated.

"Okay." Amana said.

"Now that that is settled. Where should we start?" Mandeeq asked.

"We are still far from the palace, however I know the way from here. We should get halfway there by midday." Amana said.

"How could you possibly tell what time it is?" Shermake asked.

" It's one of those things we just know down here." Amana answered matter of factly.

"Yes but how?" Shermake persisted.

"Shermake, we need to focus." Mandeeq interjected.

"Fine, but you will tell me at some point." Shermake responded. Amana simply shrugged her shoulders.