f i f t e e n

~ Dagaal nin aan aqoon baa ku orda. ~

A man who doesn't know about war is likely the one who rushes it.

SHERMAKE

Shermake felt eyes on him, though that was to be expected under the ocean with so many animals passing them by. Schools of fish would push their way through them without much of an apology, only collective mumbles of"coming through, coming through, noh baane!"

"You don't think Amana would be too mad if I grilled a couple of these annoyances would she?" Mandeeq said, as if to lighten the mood. Shermake shook his head at his cousin's antics, only to put her at ease.

As they got closer to their destination, the more anxious Shermake felt as he looked behind him more, guarded Mandeeq a bit closer. Maybe that's all it was, nerves. Yet every now and again he would catch a glimpse of something shining in the distance, slowly but surely coming closer. Could the warriors already have caught up to them? He hoped not, though hope wasn't this moment's reality.

He looked at Mandeeq, who was for the most part trying her best to act care free, looking at the sea flora, and fishes that they would pass by. He shifted his gaze towards Amana, her grip on Zahi's reins were a little tighter, her eyes shifted from side to side and eventually met him.

It gave him all the answers he needed, yet he still didn't know what they were to do. 

Shermake was no warrior, but he could handle himself in a fight. After all, his father had taught him how. He used to always tell him, "Dagaal nin aan aqoon baa ku orda, A man who doesn't know about war is likely the one who rushes it. Be smart, my son."

It was one of the many proverbs he would repeat, so much so that whenever Tawfiq would mock his father, he would always say it in a deeper voice, resulting in bubbling laughter of the two boys. Nevertheless, he was confident in his ability to take a hit and give one. A fight underwater, however, was another story, especially with his new body.

He couldn't control his speed, nor could he maneuver properly, sometimes relying on Mandeeq or Zahi to help steer him in the right direction.

"Mandeeq, Shermake..." Amana said, sounding more serious than ever.  "On my mark I want you to swim ahead of me. Shermake, I hope you can ask some of the dolphins to help you two go further ahead. Zahi, please guide them to my place."

"Not without you my friend. If we stand, we stand together." The sea camel said, lifting its chin up, determined to face the threat ahead.

Something about Zahi reminded Shermake of his brother. Maybe it was this...closeness that he and Amana shared that reminded him of his own relationship with Tawfiq.

"We can't do that," Shermake said. "I would never be able to face my father knowing that we had abandoned you for our own needs."

Maybe it was his pride, or maybe it was just Mandeeq's stubbornness rubbing off on him, but he couldn't allow himself to just abandon someone who had been helping them rescue their families. It just didn't sit right with his soul.