e i g h t e e n

~ Gacmo is dhaafaa gacalo ka timaaddaa ~

Love emerges when hands give something to each other

MANDEEQ

Mandeeq looked forward and saw a shadow heading towards her and panicked, swimming as close to the reef wall as she could, only to realize it was her cousin.

"They're okay, for now." Shermake panted out. "It seems like they've trapped the ones with gifts, with the exception of Adeer Warsame."

A bind of salmon passed over them quickly causing them both to duck down, deeper behind the coral reef wall. Mandeeq was still amazed at the scenery but she had no time to admire this world.

"Hmm." She bit down on her lip, thinking hard to come up with a solution. "You don't think they'll hurt our fathers?"

"We shouldn't think things like that, Mandeeq." He replied back. "What is it you always say....shine bright like the sun on a hot day? Quite a silly saying but it's yours."

Mandeeq let out a dry laugh. "As if you're quoting my own self to me right now."

Shermake laughed in response, looking anywhere but her. Her amusement was short lived, as she felt her body go still and her blood turn cold. Her expression must've been shocking as her cousin carefully turned around to look behind him. She saw a bunch of people from her village all chained, one after the other, being led by a mermaid, their faces as empty as before. The old man from earlier stumbled and his chain was tugged even harder, giving him not time to recollect himself. It's like he didn't even notice he fell. The disappointment and anger she felt in that moment seized her chest.

"Mandeeq." Shermake placed his hands on her shoulders. "Do not go there. We have a plan. It's going to work."

Yeah. He's right. We have a plan. A good plan. Is it a good plan? Will it rescue their people? Her family? A vision of herself chained alongside her cousin played through her mind. She gave a half smile to her cousin. "Okay."  She was just about to ask him some more questions when she noticed Amana and Zahi approaching.

"Amana!" Mandeeq greeted her. Amana nodded in response and hid with them against the wall. She saw her cousin smile from the corner of his mouth towards the sea camel. Zahi only nodded and proceeded to chew on some foliage that was growing out of the wall.

"It seems you have found your fathers. It's a good thing you stayed hidden. Those soldiers have a harm on sight order." She gestured with her head towards the area the guards stood.

They had on what looked like body armour and long spears were attached to their tails, their gazes focused on in front of them. A cold shiver ran down Mandeeq's back as she took in Amana's words.

"Maybe there's a way to pop the bubble, and swim away with them as fast as we can." Shermake suggested.

Amana shook her head. "That bubble is the only thing keeping your father alive right now. He has no gift, right?" Mandeeq nodded.