chapter 8 - Jeremiah's POV

Something didn't feel right lately. Conrad and Belly have been spending a lot of time together. It was strange. It especially started when she wanted to take a break between us. I understand why, though. I was getting irritating. I was just scared that she was going to choose him. Doing that made her so sick of me. I think that I was happy before because wasn't around him all the time. I was much more chill when we didn't see each other as much. I love her more than anything and I messed up big time.
Later that night, I went to her room to apologize. I knock on her door when I know she is home. They both came home for dinner. I did it after dinner. I knock on her bedroom door since it was closed. "Come in!" She exclaims. "Hey, I need to talk to you," I say as I close the door.  She nods and I sit on her bed next to her.
"I just wanted to apologize for how I was before we broke up. I was weird. I was just scared that I was going to lose you over him." I tell her. She looks at me as if she was sorry. What was she sorry about? Maybe the fact that I felt that way.
"What? No, you are way more important to me. I don't want to lose you. It's just that I was getting overwhelmed with how you were acting. I loved you. I still do. But. If we get back together I need you to promise me that you won't be the way you were before. But, I do want to get back together. If you want to." She says. She puts her hand on my cheek. It comforted me the way she did that.
"Are you kidding? Yes, I want to get back together with you." I laugh. She laughs with me. She kisses me. I felt her hand go through my curls. It made me smile. I wished she would do that for weeks. This was what we needed. I could taste Conrad's chapstick on her lips. It tasted like watermelon and strawberries. I let go. I hesitate to ask but I do it anyways. "Did you kiss Conrad?" I ask. She looks guilty.
"Uh, yeah. I did. One time. One-time thing. I promise." She tries to assure me. I knew what she did. She wanted to make sure that she wanted to be with me. So she kissed Conrad to see if she wanted to be with him. "I understand why you did it. No worries." I say calmly. She looked shocked. Her jaw was opened so wide. "Really? You understand?" She asks. I chuckle. "Yeah. You did see if you wanted to be with me. Am I right?" I ask her. "Huh... uh, how did you know that?" She asks.
She seemed to be shocked. I mean I know Belly. I have known her since I was 1 year old. We are best friends. I know stuff about that she doesn't even know. But, I bring it out of her. "Because I know you, Belly," I say. She kisses me again. It felt more passionate and strong. She loved me and I loved her too. There was nothing or nobody who could change that. Not even a crush that she had since she was 12 years old. We are stronger than that. We ended up talking the whole night. I found out secrets from her school years. The time I don't see her.
She hasn't had any boyfriends because she only ever wanted Conrad. She has an exception. "Kids it's dinner time. Come down." Mom says from downstairs. I feel her pull back by pressing on my chest. She laughs, and I laugh with her. "Come on, I am starving." She tells me. She pulls me off her bed by grabbing my hand. I get up and intertwine my fingers in hers. She smiles at me and we walk downstairs hand in hand. "Oh, look who made up." Laurel smiles at me and Belly. I could tell Conrad wasn't having it. He seemed mad. belly for some reason but also gave her a look of love. It was so weird. What was going on between them?
I just ignore it and sit with her at the dinner table. There was chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, and peaches on the table in order. It made my mouth water. I was so hungry. I realized that I haven't eaten since my swim at 1 o'clock. I grab a plate by the peaches.
I didn't wait for any consent because I knew how it was around here. You didn't need to ask. Mom knew that we were always hungry because we were always energetic. That's how she liked it so that she could have naps and could talk with Laurel without anyone interrupting them. She just started to talk to Belly. "Belly, are you going to be a deb again?" Mom asks her. She chuckles and smiles at everyone. "Yeah, I loved it when I did it. Maybe my date won't disappear this time. " She puts her attention on me. We talked later about it. I apologized a million times. I felt horrible but something was going on that was serious. But I probably shouldn't have reacted the way I did. It was childish of me.
"Yeah, I'm kidding. I will do it again. It was really fun. Can you help with that, Susannah?" She asks mom. Mom smiles at Belly. "Yeah, don't worry. I will talk to Paige about it and tell you tomorrow." Mom was happy that Belly enjoyed herself last year.
(After dinner)
Me and Belly we're laying in the tv room. There were bean bags in the corner of the room and we sat there. She was laying somewhat on me. We held hands through the movie that we are watching. "Hey, can I ask you a question?" I ask her. "Yeah, babe." She simply says. "What is going on with you and Conrad?" I asked. She seemed really surprised. "Nothing... why do you ask?" Shw told me. I knew she was lying because she was all tense.
"It's okay, babe. You can tell me. I won't get mad. I promise" I tell her. She chuckles, "we kissed at the fair. He took me and it was a whole moment. It was when we weren't together." She scaredly says. "That's alright. I understand why you did it. You wanted to know." I say calmly. She seemed happy with my answer. "Wow, I thought you would be angry." She says. I smile. I didn't think that I should've made an outburst. That just would've made things even worse. Then, Conrad comes in and sits down on a chair. This was perfect, just perfect.
"Excuse me, I will be right back. I just am going to go to the bathtoom." Belly tells me. "Oh, okay." I say. Then, Conrad leaves the room. I thought that was weird. I noticed that they both gone for quite a bit of time.