Chapter 20

Harper dropped a sword at Kai's feet. "Teach me how to use it."

He panted, catching his breath. He had been pleased to find that the Ivory Manor housed a dozen guards—as well as a place for them to train. He trained early each morning, before the sun rose, along with its heat.

"Please," Harper added.

"You want to learn how to use a sword?"

It would be useful, he supposed. He had tried to convince her not to come on the scouting mission, but she had insisted. Even a reminder of her near death atop Aria's wall the month before had not swayed her. If there was no way to keep her from coming, he might as well teach her to fight properly.

"Show me what you know," he said.

She shrugged. "I've trained with a bow, not a sword. I've only even held one a couple of times." She picked it up, however, sliding the steel blade from its leather sheath. It was a longsword, only a head shorter than her, but she carried it with ease. Using a bow had certainly made her strong.

"Do you want to learn how to use a longsword and shield, like those oafs you fought on the wall, blundering about like miniature giants?"

Harper arched a brow. "I suppose that I should say no?"

"Correct. Besides, although you're strong for your size, you'll be overpowered easily in a battle of strength."

"So you'll teach me how to use your little sword, then?" She asked.

"It's called an arming sword, not a little sword. And yes. It's not an honorable weapon—at least, not in the eyes of oafs. However, it works—it takes more skill and less brute strength." He pulled his sword from its scabbard, handing it to her by the handle. She held it carefully, testing the blade's balance. She wore her riding leathers, as usual, complete with sturdy, flexible white gloves.

"We only have two weeks, so I'll skip past the exercises. You've trained with a bow all your life, so I trust that you've worked the rest of your body, too."

"Not as much as I should have," she said with a wince, "but hunting has helped. I'll start exercising with the guards tomorrow, though."

Kai nodded his approval, drawing a second arming sword from a basket near the entrance to the guards quarters. It was not as balanced as he would have preferred, but it would do fine.

"Learning to use a sword properly takes practice. I've used mine for nearly all of my life. In the short amount of time we have... I'll show you what I can, but you should still rely on that bow of yours."

She nodded, and they began.

⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁

It was past noon by the time they finally ended their practice. Harper had insisted on going on, even as sweat poured down their faces. She was good for someone who had never used a sword before. Kai taught her proper stance; standing sideways to decrease the size of the target—herself—and increase the length and range of her sword arm. He showed her how to stay balanced, keeping to the balls of her feet.

After that, they practiced simple thrusts and jabs. Kai wanted her to exercise as many muscles as she could, as soon as possible. They would be sore for days, even weeks, and it was better to endure the slight pain now than in two weeks, where danger could lurk behind any corner.