Chapter 37

"Ah, you remember." The thing's voice was soft and not unkind, and yet Kai felt only dread at the words.

Yes, he remembered. He remembered the dark castle, and the massive hall and the throne room and—

And the thing that had sat atop the throne. It had been little more than a shadow then, drifting in and out of the darkness, whereas now the thing before him felt real.

Saif struggled to his feet, eyes strained; it was as if the elf was fighting to stay conscious.

"Who are you," he choked out.

The creature scoffed, expression turning...disappointed?

"Take a guess," he said, gaze directed at Kai.

Kai swallowed, feeling insignificant and small beneath those depthless eyes. But he understood. Had guessed the moment he'd seen the creature's eyes and heard its voice. "You're The Deceiver," Kai said.

"I prefer Adekin, but yes. I am The Deceiver, and this is not our first time meeting."

Kai steeled his voice, reinforcing it with what little courage he had left. "No, it is not. We saw each other here once, and again only a few days ago."

Saif turned abruptly—frantically.

"You saw him days ago? And didn't tell me?" the elf hissed, confusion and hurt and worry and fear clouding his voice.

Kai winced. "I didn't really see him, it was a dream and—"

He shook his head. Now was not the time for him to explain. He hadn't known what the dream meant at the time. He'd thought it to be strange, but not a visit from The Deceiver himself. Speaking of...

"How did you enter my dreams," Kai asked, knees wobbling as he swallowed again. "And why enter at all?"

Adekin shrugged. "It was not easy, breaking into your mind—I will give you that, at least."

Kai cocked his head, confused. The creature seemed to notice his perplexion.

"Controlling the minds of others has always been my specialty—did you not meet one of my puppets yourself?"

Yes, he had. The men whose jaws had fallen open, letting out that sweet terrible sound, all those months ago.

They had been possessed by Adekin. He had taken control of their minds, making his will their own.

"As for why I stepped into your dreams that night," Adekin continued. "I did it for the same reason that I am here now. To warn you. To scare you. To show you what you will face if you continue along your path."

Kai scrunched his forehead. The dream had been terrifying, but Kai had never considered giving in to that fear and turning his back on Harper.

"Why? Why warn us, why do any of this?" he asked.

The Deceiver's expression turned grim in an instant, lips set in a thin line.

"Because I would not benefit from your death."

"What do you mean?" Saif asked, regaining his composure.

"You could be useful to me," Adekin said. "A human with your gifts...I do not know that another like you has ever existed, or ever will again. Well, excluding Fulco, of course, but he is a thing of the past."

What? Saif said that I was rare, but am I really the only one? And what was this about Fulco?"

"I've heard that before," Kai lied. "But how could I help someone with your power? How could I possibly be of use to you?"