Chapter 41

Kai couldn't see. Couldn't think. He felt only rage—dark, terrible rage that blinded him from his surroundings. Time slowed, and he saw only him, and her. The creature that he would do anything to stop, and the girl that he would do anything to save.

The red clouds grew and grew as Harper's scream continued, seeming to go on forever, piercing past the tower walls and into the vastness beyond. He could not bear it. Could not bear to hear it any longer—the desperation, the terror. The world turned to fog and he knew one thing—that he must save her.

Shadows burst from Kai, pouring out from the chasm within him. Kai barraged the wall separating him from Harper, pummeling its invisible essence with all the power that he could muster. He had to break through. He reached further down, down, as far into himself as he dared plunge, pulling his magic from the depths of his soul.

The wall began to give. It was as if Kai's shadows were eating away at the darkness, absorbing it—killing it.

There. An opening. A hole in Skade's magic, growing steadily larger. Kai willed his shadows forward, through the gap in the Dark One's power. The magic snaked toward Skade like black ivy, hungry for death.

Skade still held Harper's chin in a massive hand, black eyes emanating hatred, promising pain. And yet he did not move. Or perhaps...he could not move? If his eyes were moving, Kai could not tell.

Harper was motionless as well, though an expression of terror still clung to her face. A teardrop was stuck halfway down her cheek, as if frozen.

They were defenseless, Kai realized. Skade was trapped within time itself. He pounced on the opportunity, driving his shadows forward with renewed effort. His magic darted forward toward Skade's shadowy hand, which clutched Harper's face.

Rage flowed through Kai and he twisted his power sharply. The magic swung in an arc, cutting through the Dark One's wrist as if it were butter.

Skade's hand began to dissipate—first his fingers, turning slowly into a dust as fine as sand, and then his palm and wrist.

Driving his shadows forward, Kai willed his magic to grab ahold of Harper, pulling her through the expanded gap. His magic moved her with ease—it was as if she were weightless. Kai's shadows touched her ever so lightly, tendrils of darkness soft against her skin as she was set beside him.

Kai let out a breath, clouds clearing from his vision. She was here. Not safe—not yet. But she was here.

Time resumed, and Saif fell to the floor, gasping.

And Skade, a mere few feet away...laughed? The Dark One laughed, swinging his head back, eyes alight with amusement.

Kai stepped back, clutching Harper's hand in his own. He felt as though a piece of the puzzle that was his soul had been replaced, fueling a fire deep within himself. She was here. She was alive. She was safe. He told himself, again and again, attempting to understand the gravity of the words. All that he had worked for these past weeks, the pain and fear that he had felt knowing that she was gone, the hole in his heart that had grown each day that she had not been by his side—

"Impressive," Skade said, gaze fixed on his stump of an arm.

Kai had done it, he realized. He had hurt a Dark One. Which meant that he could kill a Dark One...right? He had never used so much magic at once before—had never felt so powerful. Kai had slowed time for those around him, whilst hardly hindering his own abilities. Could he do it again? He fought away the exhaustion that closed in on him, threatening to pull him into the realm of unconsciousness.

"Perhaps I was wrong," Skade continued. "Perhaps you are the Chosen. I should inform you sooner rather than later, though, that I will still be killing the girl. It seems that she is the thing ruining you."

Kai swallowed, squaring his stance as he reigned his shadows in beside him, preparing to attack. He sectioned off a portion of his power, willing his magic to form a thin, translucent shield around Harper. He would give her more, give her all of his power in order to keep her safe...but he knew that the shield would crumble if he lost to Skade. Kai had to focus on the creature before him.

Skade heaved a breath, casting his right arm—or what was left of it—forward. It was not bleeding, Kai realized. It also didn't seem humanoid, which wasn't particularly surprising. No bone, veins, arteries—nothing. Only darkness as deep and endless as the night sky.

Skade mumbled rough, incoherent words, eyes still fixed on his arm. And it began to heal. The Dark One's severed stump began to regrow, shadows falling into place to form a wrist, then a palm, then fingers.

Kai's eyes widened and he took another step back, making sure that Harper stood behind him. He had been so naive. So ignorant, believing that he had harmed the monster before him.

Saif grabbed hold of Kai's arm. "We shouldn't be here." The elf's voice was hollow, haunted. "We need to leave, before he kills us. This...this is nothing. Skade's healing, his wall of darkness—he is holding back."

Kai nodded, steadying his trembling fingers. Saif was right. They had to get out of the castle...but how? How would they escape?

"Thinking of leaving so soon?" Skade rumbled, moving a step forward. "I believe that we have fallen off track. You are the Chosen—the one sent to save my kind. As much as I wished and expected you to join my side willingly..." Skade shook his head, sighing in disappointment. "It seems that I may have to take you by force, after I dispose of the girl—and the elf, I suppose. The Chosen should have no need for either."

Kai racked his brain for answers, considering the possibilities, his choices—

"You must leave," Saif breathed to his side. "Leave us and go. There is no other way."

Kai discarded his friend's words. No. He would not leave them. Could not leave them. Not when they were all he had.

He took a deep breath, drew in his shadows, and stopped time.