Chapter 21

Harper joined Kai—along with her own guards—to train each morning. Kai was starting to see why people loved her so much; her guards, servants, even people of the city. Unlike most noble ladies, she mingled with peasants and soldiers in ways that were not expected of her. He supposed that she had grown up poor. Although Harper was practically nobility, she still came from humble beginnings. It was no wonder that she didn't feel above the men and women she met in the street. People working long, laborious hours each day. She had once been one of them—or, her parents had.

Some days she would go to the city stables, for no reason but to see the hundreds of horses housed there. Consequently, she was now friends with the horse master, a short, plump man that Kai had seen on one of his own visits through the city. Other days she would go on hunting trips with her guards—a sport that was very unusual for a lady. Apparently, she had learned a good deal about her men on those trips, from their names to the color of their children's eyes.

This particular morning she ran beside Kai and the rest of the soldiers, breathing in the cool air. The manor was even more beautiful in the morning, when the grass and trees were covered in a soft frost and the sound of chirping birds filled the air as they fluttered from tree to tree.

Kai's legs were burning by the time they reached the training area, where they finished the rest of their exercises. It felt good, working his body to the limit—pushing the limit. Training had been his favorite part of his time in Northshore. He remembered staring at a target, nothing in the world existing but his knives and the bullseye. The Ivory Manor had all the training equipment of the warehouse in Northshore, and more. Longbows lined the walls of the armory, ranging from seventy to one-hundred-sixty pound draw weights. Beside the bows sat plain wooden barrels, filled unceremoniously with long-swords, arming swords, throwing knives, and weapons that even Kai had never wielded. He had seen Saif use a flail once, years before, but had never tried one himself. The manor's armory had multiple flails, along with clubs, axes and spears. He had practiced spear throwing in more depth recently, although he still preferred a bow, knives, or a sword.

Kai and Harper left the guards, going to a less populated part of the training area, shaded by a grove of towering beech trees.

Kai tossed her a blunt sword, fingering his own. He had found them stashed deep within the armory, unused for months or perhaps even years. Plain as they were, the swords had good balance to them and would serve Kai's purposes well.

"I saw you wear chainmail during the siege—I take it that you don't prefer plate?"

She nodded. "It's too clunky...I can hardly move in it."

"When wearing mail, you need to be fast. It will protect you from light hits, but a full jab or side thrust will cut right through it. Remember, fighting is dirty—don't be afraid to do anything to your opponent, no matter how gruesome it might seem. They won't hesitate to do the same to you."

First, he showed Harper how to fight an opponent wearing full plate.

"Cutting at them won't do much good, nor will exchanging parrys with your sword. One of you will make a mistake, eventually, but with only mail you will be at a disadvantage. Instead, you must be quick, and unpredictable."

He showed her how to grab an opponent's blade before kicking their shin and side-thrusting in the created opening. Although swords were deadly when swung with force, their blades did no real damage when held tightly by a gloved hand. Or an ungloved hand, though that was riskier.

"Be careful when you jab," he said. "Don't overextend, or you're as good or dead. Watch for the opponent's jabs, sidestep, and they're as good as dead, as long as you play your cards right."

He threw her a small wooden disc with a handhold fitted on one side. "A buckler. I don't prefer to use a shield, no matter the size, but they're undeniably useful."

They strapped on the small shield, practicing blocks, jabs, sidesteps and blade-catching as the sun rose, casting bright beams of light around them.

⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁

The days went by quickly. Despite being worried about the journey to come, Kai enjoyed them, spending most of his time training or reading. He had started visiting the manor's massive library every day, sitting at a table with a stack of books. Some days he would read maps and atlases, other days whimsical fairy tales or insightful autobiographies. It was strange, knowing how big the world was, knowing how small he was, little more than a drop of water in a sea of people, creatures and cities. He wanted to explore this world, some day. Kai supposed that during his scouting journey he would traverse a fair bit of Ath...perhaps it would help him in more ways than one.

⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁⥁

An array of food even larger than usual was served the night before their departure. The smells of roast potatoes, spiced venison, fresh baked bread and aromatic butter filled the room as Kai took his seat at the table.

How have I gotten here? He thought. It's hardly been two months since I was in Northshore, killing for gold. And now I'm here, eating an extravagant dinner in an extravagant home beside a friend that I don't deserve.

It had all happened so quickly, it was hard to believe that it wasn't all a dream.

"So," he said with a sigh, picking at buttered peas and carrots with his fork. "We won't be seeing this place for a while, will we?" They hadn't talked about it much since the meeting at Lord Canmore's castle a fortnight ago. Hearing it aloud made the fact seem so real. They may never see the Ivory Manor again. In fact, Canmore had practically sent them on a suicide mission. A small group against an army of men, not to mention the giants, hounds and perhaps even wraiths accompanying the Dark Army.

Then again, they weren't fighting the army, they were simply collecting information. Information that they badly needed. It was undoubtedly necessary, Kai knew that after the siege, but perhaps this was not the way to find the information they needed. But then, Canmore had said that no messengers who had been sent to the northeast had returned. It was the only way, reckless as it seemed.

Harper replied with a sharp intake of breath. "We'll make it back," she said.

Kai nodded grimly. They would survive—he'd make sure of it.