Chapter Thirteen: View from above

A special shout out to Saara-Shah2 who happily reassured me that they won't be hunting me down since I posted the last chapter (I hope that stays true!)

"Would you like to try riding Benny Princess?" Aidan's tail wagged furiously as he waited for my answer. 

I looked up at Benny as he huffed, staring back at me. 

"Maybe it would be wiser for her to try petting him first."  Nadia hits Aidan as she turns to smile at me. "You do not have to do anything if you choose."

"I-i want to p-pet him."

I clenched my hands as I felt her gaze on me until she opens the door, the smell of straw drifting into my nose. I stayed close to Nadia as Benny tilted his head to the side, staring me down.

"It's alright." She bent down besides me and places dried meat in my hand. "Keep your hand level and wait for him to approach you."

I did as she asked, kind of feeling like I was offering up my arm to Benny and closed my eyes. Soft fur tickled my palm followed by a smooth, cool sensation before a hot sticky thing licked off the meat.

I lowered my hand as my eyes opened, freezing midway as I saw Benny extremely close to me. It's eyes seemed to have a light deep within, almost like Grandpa's. 

Suddenly, I didn't feel as scared anymore.

Benny lowered his head and gently nuzzles against my cheek, as I realized his beak was what I felt earlier. 

"Benny likes you Princess!" Aidan seemed a surprised.  "You never treat me like that..." He mumbles to him causing Benny to snort before nuzzling me once more. 

"He hee." A bubbly feeling filled my chest as I lightly reached out to touch Benny's face. 

"Princess! You laughed!" Aidan and Nadia looked stunned. "I should of recorded it for his Majesty!" 

Aidan hit the palm of his hand with his head with that statement as Nadia shook her head in amazement. 

"Do not worry."  She pulls out a small ball from her pocket attached to her hip. "I have a recorder."

"Nice Sis!" 

The two of them huddled together over the ball as Benny bumps his head against my side; calling for my attention before kneeling down.

I stared for a few moments, not understanding until he gently grabs onto my sleeve and pulls me under his wing to stand besides his body. 

"Y-you want m-me to climb up?"

Benny slowly blinks to my question.

"H-how?" 

I looked up to his back, it still much taller than me even with him kneeling. Benny folds his front legs under him, the one closest to me sticking out like a step.

I lift my foot, setting it onto the bird-like foot and used his body for balance; I was now able to crawl up onto his back.

I grabbed onto the spot where fur and feathers combined as Benny stood up, making me much taller than Nadia and Aidan. He glanced back to make sure I was holding on before walking past the two beastkin and into the large walkway before heading towards the other door.

"Princess?!?!" 

I could hear Nadia and Aidan shout in surprise as they noticed I was gone.

"Wait Princess!"