Chapter 10 - Team building...?

As the mission grew closer, my anxiety grew higher. After the morning's lesson, we got released for lunch. Usually our days went something like: morning lesson in the break room, lunch, and then finally practicing maneuvers and techniques in the jets. I decided today just to eat in the base cafeteria and not go out to lunch. I had eaten there a couple times, the food wasn't horrid.
I collected my sub sandwich on a lunch tray along with a small salad, a nectarine and a juice box. I made my way across the cafeteria, keeping my eyes on my food and straight in front of me. I hated making eye contact with people. I looked up to see Bob coming towards me. I smiled at him and was so focused on not looking at people, that I tripped over someone's foot, my lunch tray flying. I felt the air on my face as I fell forwards, knocking into Bob. He tried to catch us and save the fall but my momentum was too great and sent us both sprawling on the floor. It took me a moment to realize that I had landed on top of him. I could feel his warmth underneath my touch. I shot upwards stammering, my cheeks the color of ketchup. He looked stunned and also very very flustered.
"Im so sorr......sorry" I stammer, trying to collect myself up off the floor and off Bob. My cheeks were burning hot and my mind a jumbled mess. Half my brain was screaming "COMPOSE YOURSELFFFFF" while the other half was thinking "omg I just landed on Bob....I could feel the warmth of his breath on my cheek....I was laying on top of him..". I backed off of his torso, trying desperately to think clearly. I could tell from the expression on his face, his brain was thinking the same things. This thought just made me flush even more. I could feel the tips of my ears tingling with the amount of blood in my face.
"Are you alright" Bob finally managed, adjusting his glasses. He still sat on the floor, me kneeling a couple feet in front of him.
"Yea..." I manage weakly, scrambling to pick up the remains of my lunch. I look back over my shoulder as I hear laughter. Lt. Lee sat at the edge of a table, his foot still outstretched..."so I was paying attention, he just tripped me"...I feel embarrassment flooding my brain. Suddenly Bobs on his feet, stalking towards Lt. Lee.
"Bob..." I say, reaching for his hand to stop him. He just brushes my fingers away and continues towards Lee's table. His awkward and shy attitude was completely replaced by something else.
"You won't be laughing when I'm done with you" He says threateningly.
"Bobbbb...please...Its okay, I can get another sandwich..." I plead, getting up and rushing to stand in front of him. I try to tell him with my eyes that I don't want to make any more of a scene. He seems to get the message and softens again, his gaze searching my face. I grab his hand and drag him away, Lt. Lee's laughter echoing in the background. I finally stopped at a table in the corner and let go of Bobs hand, realizing I was still holding it. I plop down on the bench and put my head in my hands, completely overwhelmed by the chaos in my brain. Bob takes a seat on the bench across from me.
"I'll go get you another sandwich" he says softly, standing back up.
"Thank you Bob..." I murmur, my emotions clouding my thoughts. Bob had just stood up for me...again. He had not hesitated either. "Uhhhhhhhggggg"  I thought, my brain overwhelmed.
Bob came back a couple minutes later with....exactly what I had had on it before.
"Thank youuuu" I say quietly, head still in my hands. He sits down beside me this time.
"Are sure you're okay" He asks again, concern and worry lacing his voice. I lift my head out of my hands, my cheeks still burning, my mind still a mess.
"Yeah" I laugh nervously. "Im okay".
We eat in silence. Not the awkward type of silence, the "im comfortable just not talking cause socializing is tiring" type of silence. When we finished, we went back to the locker rooms to change but were stopped by Maverick.
"You don't need to change into your flight suits" He said to us as we passed. "Meet in the break room, wear your normal clothes. Shorts and a tee-shirt are advised". He finished before walking off. Bob and I looked at eachother, confused.
"Either way we're gonna have to change '' I said, looking down at my own uniform and then back up at Bob's.
"See ya in a bit then" he said as he headed down the stairs to the men's locker room. I went down to the women's locker room and changed into a pair of athletic shorts and a graphic tee with the Eagles band on it. Before going back up to the breakroom, I braided my hair in a loose braid.
"Hey Leia" Phoenix said from behind me.
"Hey Phoenix" I replied, turning to face her. "Any idea what we're up to today?"
"I heard some sort of team building exercise" she replied, changing into her own casual clothes.
We finished up and headed back up the stairs. We entered the break room to see Maverick holding a football...."Okay then...." I thought. I sucked at catching things. My hand eye coordination was trash. Bob wandered his way over to me and Phoenix as more and more people trickled into the room, all wearing some sort of athletic casual wear. Bob had on a yellow navy shirt with some basketball shorts.
"Alright everyone, to the beach!" Maverick said when we had all gathered. With that, he led us out of the room.

🌻——————————————🌻
Sorry it's a very short chapter but y'all know what chapter is next 😏😏

Idk if y'all read any of these but I still like to write them anyways 🤣 makes me feel better about my crappy writing and disability to wright long chapters 🤣
Anyways, I'll try hard to update every other day. It will be hard for me this week since we have county fair and I have to help out a lot. (:
Hope y'all are enjoying the book so far.❤️

🌻——————————————🌻