Chapter 13 - Bob's POV

Bob's POV:
I had already changed into my flight suit. The small break room was already crowded with aviators, all nervous. My brain was humming with nervous tension and I could hardly focus. I caught sight of Leia making her way over through the maze of flight suits. She edged up to me, her whole body tensed with nerves. All her actions told me her brain was just a mess as mine was.
"Hey" she said quietly, her voice cracking a bit. I could see anxiety etched into every muscle on her face. I tried to smile but I couldn't manage, my nerves getting the better of me. I noticed something flash through her eyes as she looked at me. I couldn't place it. It was brief. Her face softened for a split second before resuming its former expression of pure anxiety overload. I could visibly see how stiff her whole body was. I wanted to do something to help her but I had no idea what and even if i thought of something, I probably wouldn't work up the nerve to do it anyways. We followed Maverick as he led us out to the plane that waited to take us to the surface carrier.
I was sitting next to Kestrel who was in between Hangman and I. Phoenix was across from us wearing an unusually tight expression. Usually she was relaxed and even a bit cocky. I saw Kestrel scowl at Hangman from the corner of my eye. He wore his usual smug smirk.
"Whats that look for Kestrel" he smirked, his cocky attitude showing in every word he spoke. I wanted to slap him but everyone knew better than to do that. Kestrel just dropped her gaze, the usual fire in her attitude dampened. "Don't let him get to you Kes" I thought, looking at her stony face. Gosh how I just wanted to brush my finger against her cheek and tell her it would all be okay... She looked up at me and I looked away, a warmth rising to my cheeks. Those eyes could drive anyone crazy... Deep brown with flecks of gold and hazel...her stray wispy hairs forming slight curls that framed her face perfectly. Thinking this made my cheeks become even more hot and flushed. I looked anywhere but at her and caught Rooster's gaze, who, despite all the tension in the air, wiggled his eyebrows at me. I wanted to melt into the floor of the plane with embarrassment.

Maverick and the Admiral stood before all of us. I stood beside Phoenix who was standing like a board.
"Captain Michel will now choose three planes to fly with him" Admiral said, stepping aside for Maverick to speak.
"Phoenix and Bob" he said, his eyes scanning the pilots and landing on me. My insides churned and I caught Leia's panicked gaze from across the room. I couldn't understand It and tried to make sense of it. "Why did she seem panicked when Maverick called my name..." I thought, mind a whirl.
"Hangman and Kestrel" Maverick said again. "Shitttt...." I murmured. "Of all people...he chose her." Not only would I have to worry about Phoenix, but now Kestrel too. She moved to stand beside Phoenix and I, Hangman at her side. They had begun to get along better though neither of them really liked each other.
"And for your wingman?" the Admiral said. Maverick scanned everyone's faces before resting his gaze on Rooster.
"Rooster" he finally said, not breaking eye contact. Rooster's expression gave everything away. He stood there shocked, silent. It took him a minute to realize and make his way up to join us at the front with Maverick.
"I want everyone in their Jets, prepare to leave" Admiral said, gesturing to the loading bay where all the jets sat, waiting. I turned and followed Maverick and Phoenix out onto the runway. My heart thumped in my chest, anxiety tearing it apart. I had never lost a wingman or a pilot but today, more than ever, thoughts of crashing filled my mind. I heard Kestrels voice ring out behind me, desperation lacing her voice.
"Bob..." she cried out, running up to me. She had a strange expression plastered on her face as she got close enough for me to see it. Suddenly she was right there, her fresh smell of citrus flooding my senses. It all happened in fuzzy, slow motion as my brain was jumbled with thoughts of her closeness. Then, her hand was brushing my cheek, sliding into my hair. Her soft, tender lips captured mine in a sweet, long awaited kiss. I couldn't think, my brain was in pure shock. It took me a moment to realize before I was kissing her back. My cheeks were red hot but I ignored it. Leia was kissing me and that's all I could think about. I had never kissed anyone but instinctively I reached a hand around to her lower back, pulling her in. I dropped my helmet which bumped against my leg as I lifted my other hand to her cheek, running my thumb over it. I wanted it to never end...to go on for eternity. Too soon though she was pulling away for air.
"Come back...." she whispered, all her anxiety, worry and hurt written all over her face. I could see her thoughts in her eyes. Her worry of losing her friends, trauma of her crash...all catching up to her.
"Bob....come back alive...please" she whispered again. I pulled her into a tight embrace, taking in the scent of her hair.
"Not unless you do" I murmured into her neck, never wanting to let go.
"Come on Loverboy" I heard Hangman interrupt from his cockpit. "We have a mission to get to, y'all can find a room later". My cheeks reddened as I realized that everyone had probably just watched us kiss. I pulled out of the hug quickly, Kestrels cheeks just as red as mine as her face flushed with embarrassment. She turned quickly, jumping up into her plane. I grabbed my helmet off the concrete and did the same. Phoenix just gave me a knowing look and waved her phone at Leia while wiggling her eyebrows. Knowing her she probably filmed the whole thing once she realized what was going on. I just groaned with embarrassment, settling into my seat as Phoenix closed the cockpit.
"Soooooo Bob..." she said suggestively, the smirk evident in her voice. I just put my helmet on and fixed my mask. I would never hear the end of it from her or Rooster.

🌻———————————————🌻
Hey everyone, I'm so sorry for the late updating recently. It's been a very busy week for me and I've been having to get ready for school. Once school starts, posting will be a little slower but I will still be doing it. Hope y'all love the story so far ❤️
🌻———————————————🌻