Chapter 14 - The Mission (Part B)

We were in the air, cruising towards an ultimately impossible mission. My brain still whirled with thoughts of his fresh, clean scent mixed with the smell of hot asphalt, the thud of his helmet hitting the pavement and his hand, caressing my cheek. I felt my cheeks redden and caught Hangman's eye in his rearview mirror. He winked, a smug smile on his lips. I looked away, trying to refocus my brain on the mission. We were flying low over the surface of the water towards the canyon that we had to fly through.
"Clearance to launch tomahawk airstrike" a commander spoke over the intercom, talking to the Admiral.
"All clear" Maverick remported.
"Permission granted, launch the strike" the Admiral responded over the coms. We assumed formation as the tomahawks whistled overhead.
"Entering mission zone" Maverick reported, his voice cool and controlled. My heart beat raced in my chest. The order went Mav, Phoenix and Bob, Rooster and then us. We all started our clocks as we hit the checkpoint, heading into the canyon.
"T-minus 2 minutes and 30 seconds" I reported as we entered the canyon. "Missions a go".
"Get there quickly, as soon as those tomahawks hit, those bandits we picked up will move to defend." The Admiral spoke. I focused as we headed into our first turn of the canyon. My heart raced in my chest, threatening to climb out of my chest.
"Holy shitttttt" I murmured, catching sight of the first radar guided missiles on the top of a peak. My breath caught in my throat as we passed it.
"Speed up Rooster!" Hangman said angrily into his coms. "We're falling behind".
Rooster didn't reply and didn't move to speed up either. I checked my clock.
"Bagman we're behind schedule. T-minus 2 minutes. We need to pick up the pace" I reported. My job was to keep an eye on the skies, check the clock and make sure we were on time. I also managed all the breakers and engine switches.
"Rooster we need to get a move onnnnn" Hangman said, more urgently this time.
Without warning, Rooster shot forward.
"Holy Shit" Hangman cursed, moving to catch up. "I didn't mean that fast".
"WATCH THE BRIDGE" I yell, as we wip around a corner, a bridge appearing. Hangman rolls the plane to fit between its support beams. My breathing is labored as I glance back over my shoulder at the bridge. I hear Mavs' voice come over the intercom.
"Heading into the climb, ready to enter the crater. Bob, check your laser."
"On it" Bob replies. My heart calms slightly, hearing his voice.
"Now entering canyon" Mav says breathily, the G-forces taking a toll on his lungs. We were still a ways from the crater but gaining. The Tomahawk missiles had hit the enemy runway but the bandits had been alerted and were on their way.
"Bob get that laser locked!!! We're running out of time!!!" Maverick said urgently, anxiety lacing his words.
"LOCKED" Bob shouted in response. I listened to their conversations very intently as we neared the crater. Maverick and Phoenix and Bob had pulled into their high-G climb. We zipped up the steep slope, close behind Rooster. We both dove over the edge, inverted before writing the planes.
"Come on Kes, give me tone. I need that laser lock!" Rooster hollered as we neared the drop point. '
"Shitttttttt Its jammed!" I replied, frantically trying to get the laser to work. "Give me a few more secon..." I started but was cut off.
"Im droppin blind" Rooster shouted ahead of us.
"DOnt do it Rooster...." Hangman fired back. There was nothing we could do though as he hit the button and we immediately went into our steep climb out of the crater. I looked behind us as Hangman pulled into the climb. I watched as the whole crater shook and exploded.
"BULLSEYE" I shouted into the coms as I was pushed against my seat, my breath coming in short gasps. I felt as my organs and lungs pressed into my spine, my vision getting spotty. "Hold onnnnnn" I thought to myself as I struggled to stay conscious. But then we were out of it and I gasped in relief. We couldn't rest for long though as we joined Rooster, Maverick and Phoenix and Bob in a deathly dogfight, dodging the radar missiles that now picked up our presence.
"Scream when you see smoke in the air" Hangman shouted at me as we dodged Roosters plane. I frantically looked all around me, searching for missiles.
"SMOKE IN THE AIRRRR!" I screamed as I saw a trail of gray smoke behind us. Hangman immediately deployed the flares and we dodged it. They were everywhere. It was complete hell as we dodged missile after missile, all the while, dodging each other.
"Shitttt were out of flares" Phoenix shouted over the shared intercom.
"Fuck" I cursed under my breath.
"Was that a big word???" Hangman teased.
"SHut up Bagman, we don't have time for your sarcasm" I retorted. My eyes were glued to Phoenix as they tried to dodge a missile.
"Shit" I heard Hangman mutter as he turned the plane in their direction.
"Phoenix, don't make any sudden moves" He said into the mic, his voice strangely calm. We neared her plane as the missile got closer to her. I looked behind me just as Hangman brought our plane over theirs. I watched as if in slow motion, Hangman pressed the flares, Maverick dodge a missle only to intercept one headed for Rooster. His plane exploded just as a missile struck our jet, engine lights flashing all over.
"Ejecttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!" Hangman screamed as he fumbled with the eject lever. I reached up to grasp mine, feeling the loop in my fingers.
"GOOO HANGMAN" I screamed. He pulled the lever and I pulled mine moments after. My blood....cold as ice....thumped in my ears. All I saw was plane shrapnel, floating around me, mixed with the oddly serene snowflakes that just floated down. And then I hit. Crashing to the ground, my vision going dark, a stabbing, throbbing pain lighting up my right leg. I fought for consciousness but the darkness won, taking over my mind and vision.