Chapter 11 - "The Beach Boys"....literally

We all headed out into the hot, evening, Californian heat. We all followed Maverick as we headed to the nice sandy spot in front of The Hard Deck. Once there, Maverick pulled out a football.
"Alright, teams are Kestrel, Phoenix, Rooster, Coyote, and Bob, Payback, Fanboy and Hangman. Play ball!" Maverick said, tossing the football to Hangman. Before I could realize what was going on, all the dudes were taking their shirts off. I blinked in surprise, a red hot heat rising to my cheeks. I looked anywhere but at my team members. Phoenix had stripped down to her sports bra. I kept my shirt on. No way was I going to be running around in my sports bra. Bob had also kept his shirt on. I smiled nervously at him as we lined up, the other team kicking the ball to us first.
"I don't know how to catch" he mouthed back at me. I stifled a giggle. Of course he didn't. The ball was kicked, Phoenix rushing forward and catching it, making a sprint for the other end. Payback tackled her but we made forward progress. Setting the ball up, Coyote prepared to hike it to Rooster. Phoenix and I got ready to run and catch. Coyote hiked the ball to Rooster and I sprinted forwards, dodging Fanboy. I turned around just in time to see Rooster huck the ball in my direction. I lunged forward and caught it, somebody tackling me from behind. I had caught it though, even though I sucked at football. I stood up out of the sand, grinning from ear to ear. "I just caught a football" I thought, still surprised. Phoenix came over and gave me a high five. Rooster becond us into a huddle. We bunched up into a small pack as he began to speak.
"Phoenix, you run right and then cut into the center, they will think you're gonna receive the pass. I take that opportunity to sprint up the side you just cleared. Got it? Kestrel, focus on keeping people away from the right side? Maybe block some people."
"Got it!" I said as we backed away from our huddle. We all took up our positions. Coyote hiked the ball to Rooster. Phoenix ran up the right side while I tried to run up the left. Phoenix suddenly darted into the center, Payback and Fanboy who were guarding her, following. Rooster sprinted up the side Phoenix had cleared, scoring a touchdown. I ran over into the water to wash the sand off my legs. I splashed the water up, rinsing the sand off my thighs. I heard someone walk up beside me and turn around just in time to see Bob laughing before he pushed me. I fell backwards into the water, the coolness washing over me. I came up spluttering, shocked but laughing.
"Bob you are going to get it!" I laughed as I brushed the wet strands of hair out of my face. I sat there in the water for a couple moments just laughing before Bob offered me his hand. I grabbed it but instead of moving to sit up, I yanked him into the water. His expression of shock was priceless. He came up next to me, spluttering and wiping water out of his eyes. He had his glasses in one hand. Probably a good thing he grabbed those. Phoenix and Rooster stood laughing from the waters edge. I smiled, standing up and then helping Bob to his feet. His shirt clung to his body and outlined his unexpectedly sculpted and built torso and chest. My cheeks reddened and I looked away. The image still flashed in my mind. His six pack......his chest muscles.... "Shit wtf am I thinking!!!!" I scream at myself, my cheeks burning even hotter.
"Are you okay????? Do you have a fever? Your face is burning red!!" Bob says from beside me, alarm etched into his tone. He had stopped in his tracks to face me.  I see Phoenix and Rooster break out laughing behind Bob, Phoenix wiggling her eyebrows at me. My embarrassment just consumes me. Bob thought I had a fever when I was really just blushing.
"I...I'm okay Bob" I stutter out. "OMG YOUR SO STUPIDDDDDD" I scream in my head. He continues to seem concerned but turns back away, walking back on the beach to continue our game, leaving my hot mess behind. I follow him but get intercepted by Phoenix.
"OMG Kes, you are sooooo red" she laughs hysterically. "YoU ShOUld SeE yOuR FAcEeEee" she wheezes, doubled over. I want to melt into the sand, like a puddle of water.
"Phoenixxxxxxx......pleaseee" I whine, embarrassment evident in my tone. I catch Roosters eye and he just smirks knowingly. "Lets just continue our game" I finish.

We continue our game, the evening growing later, people sweatier and all together happier. Hangman threw a pass to Bob who caught it. I watched as his whole face lit up with pure joy. Rooster ran over to him, hoisting him onto his shoulders. We all thronged together, parading Bob around who was positively crying with joy. It made me laugh, the smile lingering on my lips for a while as I watched him. This whole game had benefited the whole team more than Maverick had anticipated. We worked more as a team than we had in the air. I think we needed it not only to have some fun but just to bring us together.
The sunset burned over the water, oranges, purples, pinks and reds.
I sat near the edge of the water, sweaty, tired but happy. The water lapped at my toes as I breathed in the warm, ocean air. A cool breeze blew over my face, gently brushing the stray hairs away from my face. My braid lay over one shoulder, strands coming out here and there. I heard him before I saw him. Soft footsteps in the sand.
"Hey Bob" I said softly as he sat down beside me. "That was a pretty awesome catch!"
He chuckled in response.
"I was quite surprised actually" he said quietly. "I've never been super athletically inclined so that was pretty big for me". I chuckled lightly, gazing out at the now even more breathtaking view. Most everyone had already made their way into the Hard Deck to get drinks and food but I preferred to just enjoy the simple beauty of the ocean lapping at the shore.
"One of my favorite things to do as a kid was to watch sunsets" I murmured, gazing out over the blue water. I felt Bob's gaze on me and I refocused my gaze to look at him. A hot, red blush spread over his cheeks and up to his ears as he hastily glanced away. I read embarrassment all over his face.
"Do you...want any drinks?" he manages, searching for an escape. I smile at his flusteredness.
"Sure" I laugh. "Something non-alcoholic please". He nods and scrambles up, rushing to escape the embarrassment. Everything about his personality drew me to him. His awkward shyness, his moments of confidence, the way he reminded me of myself...of my own dorkiness. I sighed, putting my head in my hand. "I am such a helpless wreck" I mumble into my palms. The mission was mere days away and I was over here head over heels crushing on a particular, nerdy, smoking hot, Weapons Systems Operator.

🌻———————————————🌻
Hey, so sorry I didn't update yesterday. I've had a crazy busy week and wasn't able to finish writing the chapter.
But....it's the beach scene you've all been waiting for. Hope y'all liked it (:
🌻———————————————🌻