chapter seventeen

RORY'S EYES FLUTTERED OPEN AS SUNLIGHT FILTERED THROUGH THE WINDOW AND INTO THE SMALL ROOM

RORY'S EYES FLUTTERED OPEN AS SUNLIGHT FILTERED THROUGH THE WINDOW AND INTO THE SMALL ROOM. She sat up in her bed and pulled her hair into a messy bun as she scanned the unfamiliar bedroom. Her trunk sat at the foot of her bed and she slipped out of bed and walked over to it, pulling out a sweatshirt and jeans and pulling them on, tossing her sleepwear haphazardly into the trunk.

She crossed to the dresser and pulled out the necklace her father had given her, clasping it around her neck. She pulled the hair tie from the bun, allowing her hair to spill back onto her shoulders before deftly weaving it into a tight braid. She then proceeded to head downstairs, being met with the smell of bacon and waffles cooking, the tea kettle whistling on the stove.

"Good morning, Rory."

Rory smiled and sat at the table. "Good morning, Ted. Andromeda."

Andromeda Tonks frowned from her spot at the stove and looked over at the girl. "Rory, I've told you countless times to just call me Andy."

"Right," she nodded. "Sorry."

"Did you sleep well?" Ted asked, glancing up from his issue of The Daily Prophet. "I'm sorry the room is so small. Dora's room is sort of... being used for storage at the moment."

"It's perfect," Rory reassured him. "Thank you again for the invite to join you this summer."

"It's our pleasure, Rory," Andromeda said, putting a plate of food and a mug of tea in front of her. "I have a box of photographs that I think you'd enjoy seeing. If you want to look through them after breakfast."

"I would love that, thank you," Rory smiled, stirring milk and sugar in her tea. "Do you have any plans for today, Ted?"

"Oh, you know the usual," Ted sighed, putting away his paper as his wife laid a plate in front of him. "Work, listening to people complain."

Rory chuckled, taking a sip of her tea. Andromeda sat beside her husband and began buttering her toast. Rory glanced between the two of them, smiling at their interactions. Ted put a dollop of clotted cream on Andromeda's nose, and she grimaced in annoyance before beginning to laugh. Even after nearly two decades of marriage, they still seemed to be very much in love.

"Have you gotten any letters from your friends?" Andromeda asked, wiping the whipped cream away with her napkin.

Rory nodded. "Occasionally. Neville usually sends one once a week, he says he wants a distraction from his grandmother's nagging."

Andromeda sighed. "I feel for that boy. To be the son of Frank and Alice Longbottom can't be easy. And what about the rest? Seamus and-and...Dean?"

"They've written every so often," Rory replied with a nod. "Seamus invited me to the Quidditch World Cup with him and Dean. It would seem his mother would like to know that he actually has friends other than Dean."