chapter nineteen

"YOU HAVEN'T HEARD FROM YOUR FRIENDS FROM BEAUXBATONS LATELY, HAVE YOU?" Remus asked as he and Rory walked through the barrier onto platform 9 3/4 on September 1st

Rory looked up at her uncle, confused. "Not since the end of last year when they heard dad escaped. Wanted to see how I was. Why do you ask?"

"Oh, no reason," he said with a secretive smile. "I think you'll enjoy this year, though."

Rory narrowed her eyes. "Okay...?" She cut off suddenly when a red blur ran headlong into her. She looked down at the mass of red curls. "Hello, Ginny," she said, chuckling.

"Rory, you have to come meet my brothers," Ginny told her, dragging her over to the two eldest Weasley brothers. Molly chuckled before approaching Remus.

"I can see the resemblance," she said, watching her eldest son and the young witch chat. "She does have a lot of his habits, doesn't she?"

"It's quite remarkable at times," Remus said, smiling softly at his niece.

"Rory, this is Charlie," Ginny introduced, gesturing to the second Weasley. Rory shook his hand and noticed how rough his skin was.

"And what is it you do for work?" she asked. "It must be something interesting if you have this many callouses."

Charlie chuckled. "I work with dragons in Romania."

"Dragons?" Rory asked, intrigued.

Remus chuckled as he and Molly joined the Weasleys, Rory, Harry, and Hermione. "Rory's always had an interest in dangerous creatures. Not quite sure where she gets it from."

Rory raised her eyebrow pointedly at him and he rolled his eyes. "Well, in that case, when you come of age, send me an owl," Charlie said and Rory smiled.

"You all best be on your way," Molly said, ushering her children toward the train.

"I might be seeing you all sooner than you think," Charlie told them all, hugging his sister goodbye.

"Why?" Fred asked.

"You'll see," Charlie grinned. "Just don't tell Percy I mentioned it, it's 'classified information, until such time as the Ministry sees fit to release it,' after all."

"Yeah," Bill nodded. "I sort of wish I were back at Hogwarts this year."

"Why?" George asked impatiently.

"You're going to have an interesting year," Bill told them all. "I might even get time off to come and watch a bit of it."

Rory and Hermione exchanged confused glances. As the train whistle blew Remus pulled Rory into a tight hug. "Send lots of letters," he said, tucking her head under his chin. "And don't forget to have fun."

"I'll see you at Christmas?" she asked, pulling away.

He shrugged. "I think you may want to stay."

"Uncle Remus, what do you know that we don't?" she asked, crossing her arms.