chapter eighteen

RORY HAD NEVER BEEN CAMPING BEFORE IN HER LIFE

RORY HAD NEVER BEEN CAMPING BEFORE IN HER LIFE. It wasn't Remus' first choice of activity and Rory had little desire to sleep in the woods. However, the Quidditch World Cup meant that they would be camping, which Rory didn't mind. She could hang out with her friends, enjoy a good Quidditch match and then go to bed. Simple, right?

Rory woke suddenly from an incredibly light slumber, forgetting where she was briefly, she sat up and glanced around. Dean and Seamus were asleep in one corner of the tent, Mrs. Finnigan in another, and herself in a third. She quickly got dressed and slipped out of the tent as quietly as possible.

She scanned the area surrounding the tent, before walking in a random direction, deciding to take a walk in the cool morning. She smiled and bid good morning to any wizard she passed. Suddenly, a very excited voice pierced the quiet air of the campground.

"Couldn't have found a better spot!" Rory looked over at the sound of the voice and smiled softly. Harry, Hermione, and Ron were with a group of redheads. The Weasley family. "The field is just on the other side of the wood there, we're as close as we could be." Rory walked toward them as the patriarch of the family began digging into his backpack excitedly. "Right, no magic allowed, strictly speaking, not when we're out in these numbers on Muggle land. We'll be putting these tents up by hand! Shouldn't be too difficult... Muggles do it all the time... Here, Harry, where do you reckon we should start?"

Rory chuckled to herself, watching Harry suddenly be thrown into the task of setting up tents.

"Did you need any help?" she asked, walking over to the group.

Hermione looked up and smiled widely. "Rory!" She threw her arms around her friend, earning a grunt from Rory.

"Nice to see you, too, Hermione," Rory said, chuckling. She looked over at Ron and his siblings. "Ron, Ginny."

"Hi, Rory," Ginny smiled.

Rory looked at the twins. "George, Fred. Nice to see you again."

"He's not George," Fred said, pointing at his twin. "I am."

Rory shook her head. "You're really not. See, you spoke first. Fred always speaks first. George listens more."

"She's not wrong," Harry quipped, dropping the rods to the tent and walking over to her. "Hi, Rory."

"Hi," she smiled, wrapping an arm around his neck, and hugging him. She gave his thin frame a quick once-over. "You look skinny. Why are you so skinny?"

"Oh, you know, the usual," Harry said, dodging the question.

"Harry..." Rory said in a warning tone. "Do I need to write to my father?"

Harry sighed. "It's normal for me, Rory. But thank you for the snacks you sent. They were a lifesaver."

Rory nodded, still frowning at his malnourished appearance. Ginny grabbed her by the arm and dragged her over to the tallest redhead.