Chapter 1

Brooklyn 1937

Adeline

"I want to go dancing, Adeline!" I heard. I looked at Julia and saw her smiling at me. She kept pursuing me to come to the carnival ever since she met a guy. I knew she would leave me alone after a minute she'll lay eyes on him but I couldn't be happier to support her. She was only here for a couple of weeks and has been my best friend for years. Her family has more money than God and dislikes me because I was an orphan and felt like I was a bad influence. I looked at her and finally gave in. She took my hand and ran towards the carnival. We just finished volunteering in a small organization down the street. I was alone my whole life and not once did I ever feel love from a parent or a family. I got by because of the orphanage and Julia.

"Jules! be careful, I only have one pair of heels, I can't break it" I laughed but also worrying about my red cheap shoes.

"have some fun, will ya? I have 2 pairs in my trunk that I'll be giving you" I stopped and pulled her beside "Oh, honey... That's sweet but you have done so much for me. I can't accept that" I explained.

"Don't worry about it, Line. I'm always here for you, girlie. Plus, there's my date right there!" She pointed to someone at the carousel. He had black hair and was standing tall. She took my hand and ran towards the guy. I had to stop and keep a distance from them but I was surprised to see her stopping right in front of him. It confused me because she would likely give a hug or a kiss to someone she is seeing. She was 2 years older than me so she had more experience than me. He had steel blue eyes and his hair was sleeked back. He stood tall but I couldn't give him my whole attention when some blonde guy came into the scene.

"Hey punk, mom asked me to help her with the house for a bit" The blonde had blue eyes, charming but the height wasn't one of his best features. He looked at me and smiled lightly and I did the same. I waited for Julia since she kept whispering something into the guy's ear. The blonde slowly walked toward me and offered his hand.

"I'm Steve. Steve Rogers"

"Hi Steve, I'm Line Thomas" I shook his hand and he smirked. He stood beside me and tried to make conversation. "Hi Line, do you want to---"

Steve was cut off when a bunch of boys came walking toward us. I immediately recognize them and moved a little closer to Steve.

"Hey, Adaline" A boy named Greg from Math class stopped in front of me while chewing a hotdog. "Uhm, hi" I never really liked them because they would bully me every time at lunch for not being well dressed like other girls. The orphanage had a strict budget and I would only get clothes from donations or when Julia comes by to bring me some of her hand-me-downs. 

They looked at me and smiled. "I'm done with this wrapper, can you be the slave that you are and throw this out for me?" Greg smirked

"Sure, Greg" I took it from his hands and smiled. "Would that be all?" I asked

"Piss off, Greg!" Julia yelled. I looked at him again and threw the wrapper right at his face. He stared into my eyes and declared his anger by screaming.

"You're dead, Adeline!" I was about to fight back when I saw him knocked over on the ground. I looked beside me and saw the guy with black hair. He had punched him. All three of them went to help him and were supposed to fight again but stopped.
"Get the hell out of here, boys. This "Greg" isn't the only one that's going to regret it"
"I'll come back for you, Thomas" Greg threatened and walked away... limping

Julia went over and hugged me. She touched my face and kept looking if I had any bruises which I don't. Nothing even happened.

"I told you to never fight back, Line! you're always getting yourself in fights" She lectured. I treated her like a big sister. She's the one that'll look out for me and make sure I was okay. I never felt abandoned by her and I dedicate my life also to giving everything back of kindness she's shown.

"I'm capable of a fight, Jules"
"You're 19 years old and you've had more fights than your age" She complained

"That's right. You should back out whenever it's getting too hot" Steve joined in. 

"says the guy that won't back out in a fight" his friend joked. 

The guy that was with Julia kept looking at me and I wondered what he thought of me already.

"Anything to say?" I asked him. His eyes widened and looked around.

"yes, you. You keep staring" I told him.

"I'm just amused, to be honest. Seeing you determined to fight all those boys" He smirked. I rolled my eyes and went behind Julia to cover myself. I wasn't sure how I felt about him, but it was definitely not a good one.

"C'mon let's enjoy the carnival" She took Steve's arm and held on to it while they talk. I on the other hand had to be stuck with her date. Why isn't she walking around with this zombie?

"I'm Bucky," He said out of nowhere. I looked at him and saw him smile. He extended his arm for me to shake and I said "Line Thomas" I smiled as well and shook his hand.

"Short for Adeline?" He asked, he must've picked that out from Greg earlier. "Yeah, I don't use it too much" I explained,

"how come?"

"Well, my parents died when I was young and they call me Adeline, no nickname, no Line, nothing. When they passed away, It was hard for me to embrace Adeline when it was not their voice saying it. I use Line now but your date still calls me Adeline and I don't mind it that much, she's family to me"

"I'm sorry to hear that, Line. My parents died too. I had a sister but she was shipped out to another country" His voice remained calm and soothing while he opened up. I was surprised at how quickly our conversation turned out. He was really cute, I gotta admit but she's Julia's date and I have no place in ruining that. I stopped talking to Bucky and just followed Julia around while she was still talking to Steve.

"hey, let's ride the ferris wheel!" We went in line and they were all talking. I felt a little awkward and just continued to listen to their bickering. They were all older than me and I don't know how I could squeeze myself into the conversation but I could feel Bucky's eyes on me. I tried to disregard it but I happen to see it and he would just blush.

"Julia, can I talk to you?" I whispered to her ear but she just smiled and said no

"Okay, ill tell you at the ride," I said. There was a vacant seat and I was supposed to enter but a guy stopped me and said only two. I saw Julia already with Steve and they were pretty excited about it. She waved at me and blew a kiss. I turned around and saw Bucky looking at me but made his eyes look from afar to make it look like he wasn't staring.

"Two people! come sit down at ya seat!" I had no choice but to ride it with Bucky.

"C'mon doll" He slowly pushed me towards the ride and gently helped me sit down on the rocking platform.