𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 3

--

--

The lights shined in a dim glow ever so gently. The whole restaurant was vacant of customers and outside the windows, the night commanded its presence. You all sat at a few round tables, discussing the beckoning of summer.

"El verano", the Spanish word for summer, you had noticed tasted like bananas, but "natsu", tasted like walnuts. You quite frankly didn't mind either. At least it wasn't anything foul.

"Ok, since summer is now here, we must make menu changes. I have gathered us tonight to discuss what items we could potentially prepare..."

Your attention fizzled out like a firecracker failing to ignite. Once again, you were engulfed by the multiple textures and tastes of every sound.

"Romero...Romero...Romero!"

You lifted your head and immediately wished you didn't. Señorita arándano had a very powerful frown, in which you knew she wasn't in the mood to be messed around with.

Damn it, you clenched a fist, stop fooling around.

You took a moment, thinking of how to respond in Japanese. "... gomen-nasai, I have been thinking about menu too. Some ideas, Ajoblanco, Ensalada Malagueña, very simple, but can be made...e-elevated."

God, why does Japanese have to be so hard?

Your face remained unfazed, but inside, an inferno of embarrassment blazed a destructive path. You had so many ideas, yet you couldn't convey them in Japanese.

These fellow chefs that had grown to know and to respect you, were aware of the flowering thoughts you had and how difficult it was for you to say. They all waited patiently, ready for you to say more. It's been four months since your arrival, and they were proud of how far you've come along.

Señor Yamada leaned in towards you, murmuring. "You got this."

Tsunozaki gave a firm nod in your direction.

You drew a light breath. "The summer menu needs fresh. One dish I was thinking of was one with scallops, caviar, blood orange, and nyora pepper. Señorita Tsunozaki what is...um...ah your vision for this summer menu."

"I want to connect the feel, the environment of Spain into the menu."

Señora Adachi, the entremetier chef added, "What part of Spain are we trying to focus on? I think making something personable is gonna be key."

You all nodded in agreement. That's when it hit you.

"Valencia!", you declared, "I've been there, and I think it's a city worth telling a story."

All eyes and ears were glued to you.

"How do I say this...hmm...Valencia, its traditional recipes are prepared using natural ingredients such as oil, vegetables, spices, fruit, fresh meat or fish. Customers need something lighter, more refreshing, but not as light or delicate as spring. Señorita, Tsunozaki, you said it yourself...uh...environment. Valencia has a warm coastal climate, abundant agriculture, and plentiful fresh seafood."