0.0

Minghao is a light sleeper. On his worst nights, even the sound of the air conditioning whirring overhead can leave him tossing and turning.

He's used to it, though. He's been that way his whole life. If he wakes up, it's easy for him to settle down again and try to get as much sleep as possible.

But working at the adoption center never makes things easy.

It's his turn to sleep over, snoring contently in the spare room set aside for this exact purpose, the walls decorated with framed photos and drawings from the little ones in their care. It's small, really only big enough for the bed and a dresser drawer full of supplies, but it's cute and comfortable enough to get the job done.

Which it does; it serves its purpose well.

So when he hears soft footsteps padding into his closet-sized room, Minghao doesn't even flinch. Without so much as opening his eyes, he holds up his blankets, inviting his visitor to join him.

A warm body presses against him within seconds. Minghao recognizes the light scent of apple body wash and the boy's tight grip onto his shirt as he sniffles. He cards his fingers through his hair.

"Did you have a nightmare?" the caregiver whispers.

Seokmin cries a little harder into his chest. Minghao coos, wrapping him securely into his arms, letting him know that he's safe with him.

"Do you want to tell me about it?" he asks. It's part of his nightmare care routine. This time, Seokmin shakes his head, burrowing deeper under their blankets.

"That's okay. We can just forget about it now. That was so brave of you, Seokminnie, coming to find me. You're a very good boy, hm? The best."

The praise draws a high whine from the anxious little, but Minghao can see how the tension begins to melt away from his shoulders.

The caregiver settles them back down, shushing gently, "Must be so tired. Just go back to sleep with me. I'll be with you the whole night."

And it's only a few minutes before Seokmin's snoring softly into his shirt, koala-ed around him but utterly content. Minghao closes his eyes, hoping his warmth is enough to lull him back to sleep for a little longer.

Seokmin whines at the sound of Minghao's alarm ringing at his bedside, trying to sleep longer despite the noise bothering him. The caregiver beneath him can only chuckle, sitting up with the little boy in his arms.

"None of that, sunshine. It's time to wake up, yeah?"

Seokmin humphs. He tries to wriggle away.

"Don't be grumpy, baby. Why don't you help me wake the others?"

That's what gets him moving. He slips out of bed and takes off down the hallway before Minghao can scold him into walking slower.

By the time he makes it to the first room, Seokmin is already waking Joshua, batting at his arm until the older shoves him off, sitting up with a grumble. He rubs at his eyes over his bangs, soft lips jutting out in a pout.

The grumpy response doesn't deter Seokmin, though, and he rushes to Vernon's bed to climb in with him, effectively rolling on top of the smaller boy and causing him to cry out in confusion.

Minghao pulls Seokmin off the bed. Sensing that he didn't do it right, the little looks at his hands and mumbles, "Sorry..."

In the end, things are okay. Vernon doesn't cry when he sees that it was just Seokmin, and Joshua is easily appeased by the younger's apology.

All three are awake now. Minghao sends Joshua and Vernon to go brush their teeth with Seokmin in the little bathroom since they know how to do it themselves.

They're already five and know how to do lots of things, including taking care of the littler ones, namely Seokmin.

Said little one drags them away, already chatting about what he wants to do today. Vernon and Joshua just follow sleepily, rubbing at their eyes to finish waking up.

Minghao still has one pair of little boys to wake. There's another designated bedroom for them with two beds in it.

The door is covered in different blue paper stars and the laminated name tag on the door is decorated in animal stickers. It mirrors the other across the hall that has all kinds of abstract, colorful, construction paper shapes, the tag decorated by hand by its occupants with rainbows and stars and a big yellow sun.

Minghao smiles, pushing open the blue door and slipping into the dark room. He knows he needs to be gentle with waking them, because if the baby gets upset, then so will his older brother.

There are two beds, but they always sleep together, curled around each other and refusing to let go even when necessary. It causes a lot of headaches, but Minghao ultimately finds their bond very cute. He doesn't understand why no one has wanted to adopt them.

Minghao leans over the bed. He uses the light of the nightlight to look down at the little ones sleeping peacefully. One frailer looking, skinny, a constellation themed pacifier nestled between parted lips, wavy black hair falling over his forehead. The other beneath him, bigger, holding him against his broad chest, fingers curled protectively into his shirt and soft tufts of hair. Minghao begins with moving his hair out of his face, watching his expression twitch into a frown at the touch.

"Mingyu-yah," he calls softly. He rubs his shoulder to wake him faster, stopping short of shaking him awake.

Mingyu grunts but blinks awake, looking up at the caregiver with pleading eyes to let him sleep longer. But Minghao isn't fooled. He's not Seungkwan.

"You need to wake up, Gyu," he says, firmer this time. "The others are already getting ready."

"Okay," Mingyu whines, still not pleased.

"There's a good boy," Minghao praises. He kisses the top of his head. "Wake Won for me, okay? Can you take him to the bathroom so we can get ready?"

It's the same question every morning, and Mingyu answers just as always, "Yes, hyung."

"Thank you, love."