Cassandra

Her name was Cassandra. I heard it in the air on a sunny afternoon as I walked among the humans.

Cassandra. Shining light upon man.

"Cassandra, are you ready for the show?"

I watched as she, Cassandra, stepped forward with a laugh. It was such a clear, light soprano. The sound sent shivers down my spine.

"Sort of? I have the first half memorized but the second part..."

Hair, so dark and coiled, framed a fierce face. A passion kindled in those brown eyes, one so bright I was a helpless moth to a flame.

And yet, her smile was nervous. Shy. As if she couldn't see what her friend saw. What I saw.

As if aware she was being watched, Cassandra looked up. To a human's eye, her eyes were simply brown. But I saw flecks of green and gold surrounded by soft lashes. She had freckles, only just a slight shade darker than her skin, dotting her nose and under her eyes.

Those striking eyes found me. I could have hid if I wanted. Humans shouldn't know about us, not anymore. But I didn't. I let her see me watching her. It had been a long time since anyone caught my attention. A long time since a human noticed me.

I flashed her a small smile. A shy smile was returned, and I felt a warmth spread through my chest.

"You know you're easily the most talented person in our year," her friend continued before noticing Cassandra's distraction. "Are you even listening?"

The unspoken interaction was severed as Cassandra looked away. The pull loosened.

I scowled at the friend. The ignorance of humans.

Blinking, Cassandra glanced at her friend. "Hm? Sorry, I just... never mind. What were you saying?"

They wandered out of hearing even for my keen ears, though my gaze followed until I lost sight of her among the throngs of people.

I may have lost sight of her, but I couldn't forget her even if I tried.