A Song of Our Own

There was an ease with which we came together. The rules of the gods seemed distant, locked away on Mount Olympus, my promise nothing more than a forgotten memory. No one disturbed me or forced me home.

Those first few months were bliss. Like the first rebirth of spring, our relationship budded. We spent most of our time together, though I insisted she continue her lessons.

As expected, Cassandra was fascinated by me. Though I'm able to glamour myself to look more human, my presence was difficult to ignore. Not even Cassandra was immune. She knew I was different but never said anything, not even when I showered her with gifts. However, each time I presented her with a bouquet of hyacinths, or with a pair of opal earrings, or with a dinner out, her face would crease with confusion. She never asked, but it was plain to see she didn't understand why I gave her such things.

Her talent for music surpassed anyone I'd heard in decades. A voice like a songbird, so clear, so high, so beautiful. When Cassandra sang she was no longer the shy music student. She was in her element. I could listen to her all day.

I remembered the first time I convinced her to sing for me. Her cheeks turned redder than strawberries, and she refused to meet my eyes.

Eventually she relented and sang me a lamenting song one night we lay tangled in each other's arms. I noticed that the song was about me–the god version, anyway. Her voice, so haunting and slow, grew stronger with each verse. The lyrics seemed to give her strength too, for she lifted those melted chocolate eyes to meet mine.

"I've never heard that song before," I remarked when I found my voice.

"That's because I just wrote it," she replied with a soft smile. Her fingers traced along my jaw, down to my clavicle. "You are so god-like, it was fitting... But there's a sadness to you I can't quite explain."

My hand grabbed her wrist suddenly, the embarrassment flooding through me with hot rage. Cassandra was so startled she froze, eyes round and wide like a doe's. Except it wasn't Cassandra. It was Hyacinthus. His dark eyes striking me.

"You are mistaken," I said coolly, my skin burning like the sun.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled, wrenching her wrist away from me. "It's just we've been seeing each other for a while now and I still don't know anything about you."

Her dark hair spilled onto the pillow, and I reached over and coiled a strand around my finger.

I supposed giving her a version of my story wouldn't hurt. Enough to quench that insatiable thirst she had for mysteries. Cassandra was far too curious for her own good–and I loved that about her.

"What would you like to know?"

"For starters–" Cassandra pushed herself onto her elbow and leaned in close. "–where are you from, Apollo? Do you have any family?"

Her scent was sweet and enticing. Her skin shimmered with the last traces of sweat, and when my finger moved from her hair to her skin, I shivered at the memory lingering there.

"I am from far away," I muttered, pressing my lips to her neck. "And I have a large family... Too large. Most I haven't seen in a few hundred years."

"A few hundred–?" Cassandra giggled as my breath tickled her collarbone. "Are you messing with me?"

I levelled my gaze with hers and considered giving her the truth. All of it. It would be so easy to tell her who I was, where I came from. And even if she claimed I was lying or playing tricks, she would believe me. Humans always did. It was hard to deny my presence, even if I looked human.

I could say those words and Cassandra would still lie with me. Still adore me. But it wouldn't be the same. Her affection wouldn't be the same. It would be based on worship, on fear.

"It feels that way anyway," I relented with a smile. "Though it's too short a time until I see them again, I'm sure."

"If it's any consolation, I feel the same way about my family."

Cassandra left a trail of heat as her finger roams my chest. I don't know how she did it, but Cassandra had tamed a god.

I kissed her slowly, tenderly, savouring each passing second.

Cherished the way her hand felt, splayed across my chest.

Fell deeper in love with each hitched breath, gasp and pleasured twitch.

Our bodies had been sculpted to fit together. Our hearts beat in tandem, creating a song of our own. A song that would stay with me long after she was gone.

For the first time in centuries, I didn't think of the one I'd lost. I didn't think about the other Olympians and the expectations from Zeus. I didn't consider the consequences I'd face for going against the rules.

Cassandra consumed every thought I had. It was her, and only her, I cared about.

I never wanted that moment to end.

Deep down I knew it would.

****
Word Count: 2,217

We are half-way through the story! 2 more chapters left to go, but what do you think of this story so far?? Let me know with a comment and hit that star if you liked it❤️