... And its Price

I held true to my promise, and a couple of weeks later, word of a talented young singer had spread. It was quicker than the days long since passed. The creation of the internet and social media made my mission all the easier. All I had to do was whisper in the ear of several influencers who did the rest.

Despite her hesitancy, Cassandra flourished in the spotlight. The shy student who was hesitant about her talent quickly brightened like a sunflower in summer. She booked gigs first in small, local haunts like cafes and speakeasies. The crowds were smaller but supportive. They followed her to her various shows, growing larger in numbers each time.

For a while, we were in bliss. I was the director behind Cassandra, pulling people into place and exposing them to her beauty. Cassandra was my masterpiece, who beamed at the end of every performance. She would look at me with wonder and adoration, and my heart would swell.

Her most popular song was titled Apollo's Love. It was the one she had sung for me that fateful night. The song was beautiful, encompassing our love for one another. It was her confession to the world.

And yet, with each show, Cassandra pulled further and further away. She would go out and party with her fans well into the early hours of the following morning. She never invited me to join her.

I don't know if she realized it, but I could still see what she was up to even though I wasn't physically present. It started off harmlessly enough. Drinking, dancing, club hopping.

Until she met him.

His name was Leo and Cassandra met him at a club. He was a fan of hers, and after a few drinks and countless dances, they discovered how similar they were.

By that point, Cassandra and I had drifted apart. Now that she had fame, she had little time for me. And yet, just the night before, she assured me that our love was still strong.

Watching her kiss Leo was worse than being stabbed. My heart bled from the wound. She twisted the blade, letting the blood gush between her fingers.

It was more agonizing than any other lovers in the past... save one.

"I told you, brother dearest," Artemis sighed. She stood next to me on Mount Olympus. "Nothing good comes from getting close to a human."

"She promised," I said. The hurt boiled with the anger, creating a sour soup in my stomach. "The one condition was we'd always love each other, and she promised."

I sounded like an insolent child, whining, but I had been played. Cassandra's sweet charm had all been a facade. I thought she was different, but she was like every other human. She couldn't resist the gift a god had given her.

"They always promise us the world until they find someone on their level," Artemis explained. "No matter how hard you try, no matter how different she is, she will never see you as a human." She placed a hand on my shoulder. "End this Apollo."

She was gone.

I clenched my fists and glared down at the humans. Cassandra laughed at something Leo had said. I imagined her sweet, bell-like laugh and anger flared through me with dizzying speed. She had made a mockery of me. Artemis was right. I could never be like the humans because I was better than them. I would never got back on my word.

I was waiting for Cassandra when she returned to her apartment. I stood in the window, staring out at the city. It was draped in harsh shadows and irritating lights. When lighting became a widely practiced invention, Artemis despised it. Her beautiful nights were now smeared with ugly neon lights and smog.

A light flicked on behind me, followed by a startled gasp. Through the reflection of the window, I saw Cassandra standing in her doorway. A young man, Leo, was moving around her protectively. The worm who had wriggled his way between me and my human.