Journey to Home-2

Main Character's POV:

"What are you doing here?" I asked her

"What are you doing here?" I asked her. It's not like I don't know her and never had any word with her. 

I met for the first time during my father's last rites. She was there along with a small boy near her who was hiding near her legs. She stood quite far from the whole site but I remember every little detail of hers. 

She was a fair lady, some years younger than my mother and looked so weak. The 1st time I saw her I didn't have any thoughts or opinions because I was too numb and exhausted to feel any kind of feeling toward her. 

I remember my grandparents talking to her or saying many things to her and might blaming her and she never opened her mouth to say anything apart from holding her kid close to herself.

And after that meeting, I saw her again in court during my Maa's hearing. While Maa is been taken away to jail she again stood afar. When I saw her then she kept her head low. I can understand that she was feeling guilty and I wanted her to feel so. 

After that day I haven't seen her again. But I have heard about her from my grandparents quite a few times in the years that followed. She was a doctor by profession who worked along with my father and that's how their relationship started. 

But keeping the past aside I wonder why she was here at this moment. How did she even know where I am living and what is the reason for her sudden visit?

"How are you?" She asked me dodging my previous question with a small smile on her face.

"That's not what I am expecting to hear from you as an answer," I retorted, much rudely rather. Her face fell hearing my response but she covered it immediately with the same smile.

"I came here to check on you," she replied and walked towards me which made me walk backwards. 

"And why would you do so?" I asked her as confusion clouded my mind. Out of all people in the world, I can never imagine her coming and checking on me. She was the last thing I can wonder about after all the things that happened in the past few days. I almost forgot about her as a person in my life. 

She looked hurt listening to my response. Guess I should have felt bad for hurting someone but I lost such emotions towards everyone. Especially for a woman like her because even I couldn't help but blame her like everyone.

We both remained still for a moment when she cleared her voice and said, "Actually, ... you may not have an idea about this but... your grandmother called me during her last days. She wanted me to take care of you."

As soon as she said this my breath got stuck in my throat. This sudden revelation is too much for me to handle and too unbelievable. Why would my grandma call her to take care of me? Out of all people in the world.

"Excuse me? What are you even saying?" I questioned her unable to control my emotions. What the hell is she even talking about?

She sighed and began speaking, "I know this might be too big for you to take in but... I have been in constant touch with your grandparents ever since ..... ever since that incident took place. I know you must be hating me for everything that happened and trust me even I blame myself for all of this."