Acceptance

Main Character's POV:

PAST

One Month Later

Life is going in a normal manner for me. Though I am living with two more people, I am on my own. We all live under the same roof still I am distant from them. 

Well, it's not like they are trying to talk to me much either. It's just 'HER' who initiates some conversation with me and tries to find out if I need anything. And my response will be in a few words or one-line sentences. That's it. 

And coming to the boy most of the time it's like he is not even present. In this whole month, I have never heard his voice. He goes to his school and comes back, talks to his mom in whispers and never raises his head. It's just his eyes that turn all around the space. I can feel his eyes on me whenever I am out of my room or when I am going to my college.

Currently, the most pleasant thing is my college. After a long time when I walk through the corridors of campus, I don't hear people whispering about me, commenting, or giving strange stares. 

It feels free for me. It makes me feel very free from all the unwanted attention I have been facing all these years. And it feels good. 

I have made friends after a long time too. Though they are only aware of the basic details about me and I wonder how they will be before knowing my family's truth. I've joined in medical stream. Guess we can alter the past but not the genes. But I don't give any credit for this to my late father.

Maa is very happy with this decision of mine. And SHE also extended her wishes and showed how happy she was. I know that she is also a doctor and a pediatrician and works in a government hospital.

It's not like I tried to find out about both of them, but as I notice more things about them and around me I realize more. Sometimes I do want to ask more but I restrain myself not crossing the limits I have set for myself. 

My thought ceased when my college bus halted at my stop. I stalked down the bus and began to walk towards the house. I had to cross a few lanes since the house is situated quite far from the colony and throughout my walk, both morning and evening I invite the unwanted gazes of some people. 

It's obvious that they knew where I was living and maybe don't know why I am living there. I was used to all such kinds of stares so I don't bother as long as none approach me. 

As I marched ahead I saw a group of kids, the same age as him walking some distance ahead of me. They were laughing aloud, shouting some names and continued walking. 

I could hear them saying things like, 

'Where is your father?' 

'Do you know who he is?' 

'Wait you crybaby. Hahaha'

All these statements intrigued me and I started walking at a faster pace. I moved towards my left, just a step behind the four boys and noticed another boy before them. 

It didn't even take me a second to recognize who that boy was. It is HIM. A disoriented school uniform, ragged hair, and dirt all over his legs. Seeing his condition I could get two either of the two conclusions, either he beat someone in a fight or got beaten up. 

I stopped in my tracks as my past came appearing in front of me. Though I didn't see his face, I could most certainly see myself in him. I could hear the abuses used upon me 

'He is a killer son.'

'Your mother killed your father.'

'Where is your mother? In jail?'

I jerked out of my oblivion and my vision became clearer as I came back to reality. I shook my head and looked at the boys stop and laughing even more, but HE didn't stop. 

I can't say what came over me but all the calmness I have vanished in a moment. I clenched my fists, my face turned hard and my whole body got stiffened. 

Taking long strides I crossed those four boys and stood face to face. The air became still as all their chattering ended seeing me. The four boys in front of me are pretty much shorter than me and they kept staring at me with confused eyes. 

"It will be good from tomorrow onwards to keep your filthy mouth shut and stop your petty antics. If you even dare to abuse my brother again then the consequences that will follow will be worse than your imagination." 

My hold on the centre boy's collar strengthened with each word. I could see fear increasing in his eyes and so in the other boys standing beside him. The boy started to withdraw himself from my hold but found no success. 

"UNDERSTOOD?" My voice echoed in the whole street as more people glued their eyes to the scene happening in front. In a way, I meant it for all the people to not bother us as well and hoped they get my intention. The boys frantically nodded their heads in utmost fear wanting t just leave my eyesight. 

I left my hold on the boy's collar and he stumbled backwards and fell. But that didn't stop him from getting on his feet and running away. I looked at the other people's faces and could see that even they understood my message. 

Satisfied with me I turned around to reach the house but stopped seeing HIM staring back at me. The first time I saw him with his head held straight and his eyes filled with tears as some more tears dried up on his cheeks. Through those teary eyes, I could see a small glint of relief and gratefulness. 

Averting my gaze from him I started walking ahead. Though my act seem like I have done this for him but deep down only I knew that I did it for myself. Whenever I was subjected to the abuse I wished someone could have stood up for me or supported me, maybe not in front of everyone at least behind them they could have stood by me. But none did. And seeing him I only saw myself and I felt like I am supporting the smaller version of myself.    

As I walked past him he followed me back and both of us reached home. Both of us have duplicate keys as SHE will be out at the hospital and we both come home at any time. I opened the door and all the while I could feel his eyes on me. 

Ignoring his presence I moved to the kitchen and washed my lunch box. Finishing my task I turned around to move into my room but a call stopped me. 

"Anna(brother)"

I stopped in my tracks as soon as I heard that call. Suddenly I felt like I found a new relationship after so many years. I turned back to find a small smile dancing on his lips. 

Getting no response from me he strode towards me and stopped a step away from me. He slowly took my hand in his, held it like a handshake and said, "Thank you, Anna."

His small thanks brought above some new responsibilities over me. A responsibility of a big brother to protect his small brother. The responsibility to look after him all the time. And the responsibility to tell him that I always have his back. 

I slowly got my hand released from his hold and I could sense he feared my outcome and his smile diminished. I smiled back a little and slowly put my hand on his head, and ruffled it the same as my MAA used to do to me.

"If they or anyone ever bothered you again tell me. Ok, Nani?" 

No sooner did I finish my word his hands went around my waist and he engulfed me in a tight hug and started crying. A tear escaped my eye as so many emotions rushed to me after such a long time. 

After a long time, I felt the love of a family and being accepted and accepting them.  

Hello all.

New chapter after a long time.

Hope you like it. Do give me your feedback.

And I am planning to end this story in three or four chapters.

And if you don't know then I have to inform you that I have started a new book, 'Treasure Her'. Do check it out in your free time. Hope you will like it too.

Please do Vote and Comment.

Thank you.

Stay Safe.