Chapter 8 - The Arrival of the Spanish - Part 1

By the 16th century, a new power came to the Philippine islands: the Spanish. At this time, Cebu was divided into three: the Kingdom of Northern Cebu ruled by Stephen III, the island of Mactan headed by Lapu-Lapu, and the Kingdom of Cebu by Rajah Humabon. At the same time, many political divisions existed across Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao other than the Tondo and Baybayin kingdoms. But they coexisted more or less peacefully. Religion wasn't much of a topic, and trade was the most priority.

  But it is not without rivalry, Lapu-Lapu's relations with Rajah Humabon deteriorated while his relations with Stephen III strengthen. Despite Stephen III's counseling him not to anger toward Humabon, Lapu-Lapu wouldn't listen to him.

  When the Spanish attempted to colonize the island of Mactan, Lapu-Lapu and his forces arrived at the beach to confront Magellan and his crew. And as Magellan and his crew descended to the waters, Lapu-Lapu and his forces charged towards the coming Europeans and inflicted attacks on them. And as the battle rages, Magellan was struck by a poisoned arrow, killing him. Meanwhile, Stephen III didn't participated in the battle, but was given reports by his soldiers who observed the battle from afar. In the end, Lapu-Lapu and his soldiers won the battle, but Stephen III remained neutral, wanting to maintain relations with the outside world.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi! It took forever for me to write this chapter because I had to research much of the history at that time. Sorry if I'm inaccurate about this. I'll edit it out in no time.