Chapter 3

JUNIPER

"Hi," I say happily to everyone I walk by on the way to my locker, but I don't get many 'hi' back. They mostly look weirdly at me.

Lucy has been showing me around campus, and we're now going to my locker to put my bag there. It's almost beside Lucy's.

She chuckles a little at me. "You're really nice to everyone, aren't you?"

Why wouldn't I be?

"Just don't get bummed if they're rude to you. It's mostly not personal, they're just focused on school...or they're just rude," she scoffs. "You know, sometimes, I wish a was a little more like mom and could tell people to fuck off, but I'm not. Just leave them alone and they'll leave you alone. That's for the best."

I nod, but I don't really agree. I think they would like me if they got to know me more. You just have to give people a chance.

I put my bag in the locker and take out the books I need. They have a physical therapy program here, and even if I'm more focused on alternative medicine, it's good to learn the more traditional way too.

I'm about to close my locker, but my hair gets stuck in that lock thingy on the inside of the door. Lucy went to her class since it started before mine, and I already know where I'm going, so I have to try to get it out myself.

Two girls walk by and laugh a little at me and whisper something I can't hear, but I just smile at them and try to untangle my long hair. Fortunately, I get it out before I'm late to class.

Smiling, I walk into the classroom and take a seat in the middle. I hope I'll make a lot of friends here.

The day is over. People are harder to get close to than I thought, but I'm not worried. It's just my first day here.

When I walk toward the parking lot where Lucy has her car parked, I see her talking to uncle Bear and her dad, Axe, that're sitting on their bikes. Two others are also with them, one of them being the one that had a bad day yesterday⸺Acid. I hope he's having a better day today.

"Hi, Juniper," uncle Bear says and smiles at me.

"Hi, Uncle Bear," I say, smiling back, then go over to give him a hug.

"I just thought I would stop by and see if everyone's been nice to you on your first day. We we're here in town anyway."

"They have, but I haven't made any friends more than Lucy. I'm sure I will, though."

"Of course you will. Who wouldn't want to be friends with you."

I smile at him. He's right.

"Hi," I say, smiling and waving at Acid and the other one, who I think they call Phoenix.

Phoenix smiles amused and gives me a wave back, but Acid seems to have a bad day today too. Uncle Bear gives him a look, but he lets it go. I guess he's used to him having bad days.

We need to change that.

I'm home and on my way to the clubhouse where mom's at. She's helping Ava to make dinner for everyone, so we'll be eating with them.

When I came home from school, I decided to make chocolate chip cookies. I'm taking them with me to the clubhouse so everyone can taste them after dinner, but mostly, to give Acid so he gets happier.

Food and sweets always make me happy if I'm a little down. Not that I am that often⸺or at all⸺since I always try to see the good in everything. Everything usually happens for a reason even if it's not always good or fair, but I think something good always comes out of that too in the end.