38. new boy next door

(before mum died – flashback)

It had only been two weeks since the brown floppy haired boy moved next door, with his family. Two weeks of torture. Mum being the type of person she is, just had to invite them all for dinner the first night they moved beside us. Ever since then, Quinn Hale has been a pain in every inch of me that won't go away.

"Do they really have to come round AGAIN mum?"

"Ivy, the Hale family are lovely. We're really lucky to have them as neighbours."

"Yeah, the adults are lovely. The boy, not so much!"

"But Quinn is SO adorable!"

"Gross, nothing about him is adorable."

"You won't be saying that in a few years, V. You didn't say that the first day he moved in either – you thought he was cute!"

"Until he started torturing me!"

"He does not torture you!"

"He 'accidentally' turned their garden hose on while it was coincidentally pointed at me!"

"He was just trying to get your attention, Ivy, you're always ignoring him."

"Because he does things like that!"

"V, he's only thirteen. Boys do things like that when they're young because they like a girl."

"You think Quinn Hale likes me?" I scoffed.

"You'll see it when you're older. That boy does anything to get your attention."

"Even being mean?"

"At your age, yes. He definitely likes you, it's obvious."

"What do you mean at my age?"

"You're only young, V. Boys don't know what to do with their feelings at your age. But when you grow up its different. Definitely do not settle for a boy who handles his feelings like that when he's older. I'm sure he'll grow out of this in a few years. Maybe you'll even like him!"

"Yeah, right."