(3/3) Better Than Your Girlfriend?

The Story So Far: During a drinking game at a high school party, Oliver kissed his crush, Asher. Twice. Asher also happens to have a girlfriend. Who was also there. And they both might have enjoyed the kisses a little too much.

But really, what's a man to do? Riiight, send his twin sister to hell :)

(Someone please buy Oliver some new threats)

❗️TW❗️ A tad of cliché

(Asher POV)

"It's not that easy!" I complained, smacking the old wooden picnic table in mock frustration. Oliver cackled from the other side of the wood, where he sat clutching a crumpled assignment in his fist. I had thrown it at him moments before as an expression of my plight, but he took no heed.

"Oh come on Asher! I know you can do it, you just have to, y'know... do it." He laughed again and threw the paper back, sunlight gleaming on his brown curls. It had been four months since that party where I played seven minutes in heaven with Oli, and we've grown really close. At first it was a bit awkward, of course, but after I actually made an effort to talk with him it got better. We hang out all the time now, unlike before when our interactions were mostly passing glances. I've gotten to know more about what's behind those blue eyes, his family, his twin sister, his hobbies. Talking to him is one of the things that motivates me to get out of bed in the morning. It's just been so fun.

"Yeah, whatever." I crossed my arms on the table and smiled at him. He only laughed again and responded, but I didn't catch what he said. I was enjoying the moment. The sun shining down on our spot behind the school, the relative silence of our surroundings, the peacefulness of the whole scene... him.

Oliver's simple beauty has never been lost on me, and yet I find myself noticing it more and more often. The way his freckles look from the side, the small mole on the bridge of his nose, the quiet confidence he always carries with him. It's always there, just waiting for someone to see it. He's never been the type to revel in the glory of crowds, to feel the power from everyone's eyes on him. He doesn't exactly shrink away from attention, but he certainly doesn't draw it to himself. Every step he takes is seemingly carefree, and I love the way he starts to skip slightly when he's excited-

"Hey, Ash!" I jumped. It was Kylie's voice right next to me. She stood with her arms crossed, looking down with a curious gaze that swapped between Oli and me. My cheeks grew flushed when I realized I'd been staring.

"Oh, hey Kylie. What's up?"

"I'm really sorry for interrupting, but I wanted to ask Ash about our plans for tonight." She turned to me with a tentative smile. "You had asked me out for dinner..?"

My eyes widened. "Oh, crap!" I stood and shuffled with my school bag. "Sorry, Oli, Kylie, I forgot the time." They both met my sheepish gaze with a chuckle. I glanced back towards Oliver once I finished packing. "See ya later Oli." He smiled. Kylie caught my hand and dragged me away.

{'-~,~-'}

She led me around the other side of the school and we talked while we walked. It was nearly an hour since school let out and the campus was quiet.  Kylie told me about her day, and we pondered over one of the questions she heard in her advanced psychology class. Eventually, we reached a deserted pathway lined with garden beds and our walk turned into a stroll.

"So, where do you want to head for dinner?" Kylie asked.

I tuned back into reality. "Hmm, what about this new Italian restaurant Oliver told me about? He said their chicken parmesan is really good, and I know that's your favorite."