Chapter Seven

From then on, Sir Goro and I had our fun in private for the rest of summer vacation. We'd sneak off late at night while the rest of the troops were sitting around campfires, telling stories, singing songs, or making smores. No one ever realized what was going on between us except scoutmaster Aiden. He actually walked in on us one time when Sir Goro forgot to lock the door to his cabin one night which gave us a horrible fright. This didn't put an end to our fun as we'd thought, however. Instead, Scoutmaster Aiden often visited us at night to get in on some of the fun and on occasions... He and I would have our own fun alone.

Now that summer has reached its end, all the campers must go back home and resume their normal lives outside of camp. We've been so busy the last few days with packing and cleaning that none of us got the chance to talk, let alone anything else. As I stood in line to get on the bus, it dawned on me that it'd be almost a whole year before I got to see most of these people again. Almost a whole year without Sir Goro or Scoutmaster Aiden.

My throat begins to tighten and tears start to fill my eyes as I start to feel overwhelmed with the immense sadness of being away so long but I know I have to say goodbye. I know it's not forever but it might as well be.

At last, it's my turn to get on the bus. I'm confronted with Sir Goro and Scoutmaster Aiden who smile widely whenever I approach. "Scout," Sir Goro booms as he reaches out a hand for me to shake. I take it and he firmly squeezes my hand before pulling me into a hug. "I'm going to miss you." I can tell by his shakey voice that he's about to cry too and is trying to put on a brave face for me.

I feel Aiden's hand start to rub my back and he says, "This place isn't going to be the same without you! Make sure to come back next year and the year after that!"

"I will!" I shout excitedly, a little too loudly but I don't care. "I'm going to come back every year!"

That was that. The next thing I know I'm on the bus and it's driving down a gravel path and kicking up dust which obscures our view of the camp behind us the farther we drive. I try for as long as I can to focus on the faint shadows of Sir Goro and Aiden waving goodbye until they're indistinguishable from the other shadows swirling in the dust cloud.

A few months later, I'm sitting in a coffee shop downtown, typing up a report for my English class when my phone buzzes. I tap the screen and it lights up, revealing a text from an unknown number. I unlock my phone and open the message which reads: "Hey, It's Aiden. Goro and I are in town for the week. We were wondering if you wanted to hang and maybe show us around a bit?"

My heart nearly leaped out of my chest as I read and reread the message over and over again. I can't believe this! I quickly type out my response and send it. I sit back in my chair, willing my beating heart to calm down but I know it's pointless. My phone buzzes again I quickly gathered my things and leave the coffee shop and make my way towards Sir Goro and Scoutmaster Aiden.