Shades of Gray

I walked to the balcony and saw Dimka waiting outside. He looked pissed. I walked downstairs and the guys were kind enough to tell me that they broke the news to Dimka that I was engaged. He looked at me with disgust, "You stole someone else's fiance? That is over the line." I upheld myself, "He lied about his feelings for me as well. Till he had the guts to propose to me. Need I remind you that I am not marrying you so I would be your sugar mama. So I will not be your shield while you drool over other women. Just so others won't say that you would never cheat on me. I chose to divorce you because you won't be faithful to me. I married DD because he is more than I deserve. I love him more than I loved you" This earned a round of applause from the guys and a few cheers as well. It turns the day I explained everything to Dimka at the art gallery one of them was listening. He confided it to DD. He had already known my situation so he appreciated the reminder. This earned me their respect especially since I honestly introduced Dimka as my ex-husband. I had proved he was my past and will always be that way. I proved my unwavering loyalty to my marriage to him by always being by his side. That's why they were more than willing to protect me. He yelled at me for a further half an hour and he promised the marriage will not happen and stormed off.
Out of defiance I called Gus and asked him if he wants to get married in court. He happily agreed to do so. His shift ends in eight hours we can get married in the hospital if it made me happy. I just had to find a few witnesses. I turned to my security and smiled, "I have a room full of witnesses who will happily sign the marriage document." The guys were amused and seemed sincerely happy. They asked me why I divorced Dimka. I told them that he was planning to divorce me and get alimony so he can live a rich lifestyle. But the prenup I made him sign dictates that if he is caught cheating he gets nothing. I caught him red handed and recorded what he did. The rest was dealt with by my attorney. They have seen how loving I was with DD so they asked me if I cared for Dimka equally with kindness. I nod my head sadly. They were pissed that he had the nerve to show up like that. They swore he won't show up again and called someone. That someone turned out to be my mother in law. They even knew I was going for therapy regarding what my dad did to me. I asked them how they knew. So they explained that I look and speak differently from time to time. It was like there two different people living on one body. But no matter which persona came out I still cherished and protected DD with all the love in my heart. Which was why they were surprised that I became a police officer. They asked me why I was a serial killer. I told them everything my dad did to me and I couldn't face them so I looked out the window. I horrified to see the head of the missing persons division raping his own daughter. For the next few days I used every avenue to help her legally.
I decided to record everything as evidence. I saw that security was watching me the entire time and I gave them a nod. I had them install a security camera and recorded what he did to her. I showed it to a judge and as a last resort I even tried to arrest him but I failed. After everything had failed to help that sweet girl I felt like I was broken. I wept that such a monster could do such horrors to his own kid everyday and get away with it. I looked in the mirror and saw her staring back at me. She looked like she wanted to try something. So with a heavy heart I decided she should be the one to do something about it. "Knock knock!" A raspy voice called out, "Whose there?" I replied, "Dinner is ready" I closed my eyes and saw black smoke billowing in front of me. Thunder would rumble and lightning strikes. A tentacle popped out and felt everything around before it slipped back in again. She emerged from between lightning and smoke. She looked annoyed but she assumed the business like expression and tied me up.
She got out of the bathroom and walked out to apologize for the trouble she gave him. The other saw her and knew we had switched places. She winked at them as she walked up to his house and invited him over for dinner as a peace offering. He came over and she offered him coffee with a sedative laced in it. He passed out in minutes. The guys asked her a few questions and let her do her thing. She had the profile of a serial killer wanted by the FBI. It was from the cold case I did research. She didn't kill him. She had him confess he is a pedophile live on Instagram. He realized his life was over so he went home and killed himself. She watched his helplessness and chuckled. When he died she looked in the mirror and asked for better creeps than this guy for her to play with. She untied me and fell back first to the grassy floor. The moment her back touched the floor she turned into a bunch of cockroaches and dispersed all over. I opened my eyes and called child services again. Along with 911. This time the ambulance, police car and child service arrived together to take care of her and she was escorted to her Aunt's house. The police apologized for not doing anything. The chief made some angry calls and left past midnight. She wouldn't tell me who it was that wanted me dead. I had to put the fear of God in Douglas to find out who was responsible. It was Apple. All this trouble because she wanted Dimka.
I decided to go to Rockaway beach and enjoy my time there but a phone call landed me in child services somehow. Cheryl the girl I rescued was asking to stay with me since her other relatives knew what he was doing to her but didn't care. She was concerned that they would be worse. So did the social worker. I had to sign a few wavers and they checked my records for anything that could deter me from taking care of her. A few dozen phone calls later she came home with me.
The others seemed happy that she had a roof over her head. They assured her that I will never hurt her in any shape or form. She sat down at the dinner table with an expression of relief and safety as Gus walked in with roses. He saw her and smiled, "I see that Daniella took my advice" I gaped, "It was you!" He started laughing, "You remind me of a tweet I once read. Henry Ford announced the working hours for the citizens of America. One of the replies was 'It was You'. Reading it was funny but for someone to actually say it is way better" He fell on the floor laughing and the others laughed with him as I blushed three shades of red. We sat down and decided we will marry in the hospital when it is his shift to work there. He will marry me first and get on with his shift. We will first drop Cheryl at school before we do anything. He was buying a house since his boat won't be suitable for the three of us.