arc vii ━ chapter iii. urgency

a r c vii.

is your name a wish, a prayer, or a hope?

is your name a curse?

━━ chapter iii. urgency

AUTUMN IS A SAD SEASON. The trees are dying, dead leaves piling on cobblestone sidewalks, blown away by the cold September breeze. Even the skies are cooperating, flecks of thin clouds over grey. But Kazuko has always liked it. She once read about various attractions in Tokyo that burst in color during fall and if she wasn't currently occupied with more pressing concerns, she might have made her way to Rikugi Garden or Ueno Park. Stroll along and witness the rhapsody of reds and oranges for herself.

Tourists are flocking to Tokyo to see the sights and participate in the festivals. Crowds bustling, sounds of shutters from polaroid cameras and the frequent selfies with friends and peers. Maruyama Marika is not here for such frivolous reasons.

"Has something happened with, Eri?" Kazuko asks the moment Marika neared. The other girl rolls her eyes, mutters something about being typical, overconcerned Kazuko under her breath, and Kazuko expects to be berated over it, but Marika's gaze remains on the ground, her clenched fists mirroring Kazuko's own.

"She's getting worse," she says. There's something lodged on Marika's throat making it difficult for her to speak. Kazuko clenches her fist tighter at the thought of something horrible happening to Erisu.

(That makes two of you. It's only fair that she gets to suffer too.)

"Worse?" she questions, her face drawing a blank. Kazuko feels like a failure and Marika's inquisitive stare hammers the feeling even more. How could she not know when things turned bad? The moment she saw Erisu break apart, all that grief and regret huddled on her back. Responsibility, duty and guilt all aiming at her like daggers in varying directions.

How could you not know?

No. How could you pretend to not see? How dare you brush it off? How dare you? How dare you when the very purpose of your existence is to serve and protect her? What use is of a tool who does not do what she is programmed to do?

"What do you mean worse?" Kazuko asks dumbly and she expects Marika to berate her there and then, but the other girl has her own set of agendas, so she ignores the confusion in Kazuko's face.

"Kazuko, your fucking bestfriend is getting worse. That stupid girl!"

Marika kicks the pavement and Kazuko can see the tears bunching up on the sides of her eyes. As bad as it sounds, Kazuko hopes she won't cry. For one, it's such a strange sight to see Maruyama Marika who was as hardened as any ancient warrior bursting into tears. For another, she didn't know anything about comforting other people and she's afraid that all her attempts at it will only worsen the situation.

"The ritual's in days and she's been sleeping less and less. Day and night, her nose is stuck in some damned book or scroll. She barely takes any food or water and when anyone tries to tell her to get some rest, she raises hell as evidenced to what she did to me!" Marika points to herself at the last word. Kazuko's head is spinning from all the information. Erisu has always taken care of herself, has always known that good health was an important measure in being strong, in being a figure your subjects can look up to.

"That stupid bi— brat! I was just being concerned. I have no interest in poking my nose where it doesn't belong, but I don't want to see anyone dying because they're neglecting their health. And mark my words when I say that Erisu's going straight six feet under if she doesn't get any rest!"

Dead? Erisu? Erisu dead?

Laughter is ringing in her head. She turns to Marika, but the woman is simply filled with rage, huffing and kicking at some stray pebble who had the misfortune of being within her reach. Kazuko moves her gloved hand to her mouth and visibly sighs in relief at the realization that the laughter is not coming from her. Or is it? Because she can hear it, her voice and the gales of laughter that sounds like hers.

Gods, she really is going insane.

"What can I do?" Kazuko asks, her voice shaky.

"Talk to her or something, help her. You're both like weird telepathic twins that always know what to do with each other." That's where she's wrong. Kazuko doesn't know what to do with Erisu. Erisu who never receives her calls or shows any indication of reading her text messages. Who's stopped all forms of communication the moment Kazuko set foot in Jujutsu Tech.

"She'll listen to you. I mean, she's your bestfriend."

Kazuko hurts over the fact that Marika is so so wrong.

 ■ ■ ■

MAYBE SHE SHOULD TAKE A BUS BACK TO THE NAKANO ESTATE. She spends the rest of the morning packing her clothes into a small duffel bag, toiletries and other important objects included. Classes don't matter. Erisu is always the one she values the most. Even more than her wishes, than her hopes and dreams and even herself. It's always Erisu Erisu Erisu. (Fool. Fool. Fool.) She needs to be at Erisu's side just as she was always meant to do. The elders could push her away, but Kazuko will persist because she'd rather have all hell let loose than have Erisu deteriorate day by day without her.

(But what if it's Erisu who pushes you away?)

She stops. Then resumes placing socks and pairs of gloves on her bag. She won't. Kazuko knows better than to respond to the voice in her head, but she needed to put it out there. Erisu won't push me away. We don't push each other away. Because they were best of friends. They gave space when one needed it, but when push came to shove and the whole world was burning, they'd be at each other's side, hand in hand, walking through the flames and the ashes.

(Fool.)

That's the last she hears from the voice before she leaves her dorm room. Kiyoshi is the first person she encounters. Shock claims his features. "Kazuko?"

"I apologize," Kazuko tells him as she passes by. "There's an emergency in the Nakano estate and my mistress is—"

"But Kazuko—"

"I need to—" She stops short when Kiyoshi grabs her by arm. Kazuko wrenches it away almost immediately. She can feel his touch on her skin and it's burning and she feels sick, fear twisting her features. Kiyoshi is already muttering apologies but they fall deaf on her ears and Kazuko is walking away faster than expected, she's already half running. She feels sick. Bile is creeping up the walls of her throat, but she shoves it down just as quickly as she goes down the flight of dormitory stairs.

Shadows creep on the walls and she suddenly feels confined in this large establishment and she's walking even faster, to the gates past the fake shrines inside the school and away from the hustle and bustle of Tokyo.

"Kazuko!"

She does not turn around. I have to meet Erisu. I have to help her. I have to save her. I have to. I have to.

"Kazuko!"

Kiyoshi is by her side and she wants to scream at him to get away.

"Kazuko, you can't go," he pleads and alarm is spreading all over his voice. He's dressed in battle gear, Kazuko just notices it. "We need to go to Ikkebukuro. There's a swarm of curses that appeared there and all the senpai are preoccupied with other matters."

"Can't it wait?" Kazuko asks him, irritation clouding her features, but she realizes the gravity of the situation when faced with the concern on Kiyoshi's face.

"It's Hayami," he says. His voice is loud. Kiyoshi has always been mild mannered so his current temperament came as a surprise. "Hayami's in danger!"

━━ to be continued.