Chapter Four

I exit the restroom of a local bar, two blocks from our house, and join Violet at one of the high top tables.

"I ordered you a French martini." She knows me so well. "And I've contacted the detective that's heading the case. He said he will pay them a visit and further investigate."

I'm not sure what that means. Will they just ask questions? Will they run the house for DNA? Fingerprints? Then what?

My martini comes out just in time to fill the void in my stomach, and I take a huge sip, letting the taste of vodka and a hint of pineapple and raspberry tingle my throat.

"Whoa there girl," Violet pulls the glass back down. "I'm not trying to mop you off the floor after this, okay? Besides, I'm gonna have to run in a bit."

I give her a disgruntled look. I really want her here with me, especially after that dramatic scene and coming so close to finding...finding my daughter.

"Dragon lady?" I ask, taking another sip with the remembrance.

"Dragon lady," she answers dryly. I can tell she doesn't want to part from me either, so I decide against giving her grief for it.

"Look, Jas, I don't want to imagine your thoughts right now. But if there's anyone that shares your pain, it's me." I know she's telling the truth, because Violet has been the only person to ever understand me, sharing in my thoughts and emotions. "You have to have faith, stay strong. Daisy needs you to be strong for her right now."

I take another sip to drown out the tears that's welling up, swallowing the alcohol with a side of sorrow. I notice Violet looking up to wave to someone at the entrance behind me. I turn to check who she's so excited to see, only to find Taylor walking through the entrance, still in his blue scrubs.

He looks really good in those, I think as I look him up and down, noticing how nicely those pants hug his hips, wondering if they hold his ass the same way.

Wait, what? Oh my god, it must be the damn alcohol. I haven't had a drink since, well, a really long time, and on an empty stomach at that. Why did I choose today? This moment? Keep calm, Jasmine. What was he doing here anyways?

"Hey guys," his voice immediately alleviates my buzz, but not as much as the scent of cologne mixed with his natural masculinity, activating the butterflies inside of me. I don't know why people call it butterflies because it's more like blue whales making flips and turns inside my stomach.

"Hi, Jasmine." Guess I wasn't part of the "guys".

"Hey Taylor. I'm glad you could make it. I didn't want to leave my sister driving home drunk." I'm staring at Violet like it could burn a hole through her forehead, as much as my cheeks were burning right now.

"Kidding, maybe not. I was just inviting him out for a drink with us, Jas."

"Seriously, Vi? The house is two blocks from here, and I've barely drank one martini. I could have walked if you were that concerned."

I can't understand her intentions, inviting him to one of our favorite bars, only to ditch out on me. She's never tried to set me up with anyone before, believing no one was good enough for me, often times scaring some of my potential boyfriends away. So why now? Why him?

"Better safe than sorry," she smiles innocently. "Well, I gotta go. Duty calls. Since you're not driving Jas, go ahead and order a few more rounds. It's on Taylor."

She winks and grabs her jacket to leave, flying past me before I can respond.

I've always admired her energy. Optimism radiates from her, uplifting the shadows around her. Her spirit says she's never had a care in the world. The scars on her back says otherwise.