Chapter Eight: Too Proud

Snake and Rockstar moved into one room so that Loklynn could use Snake's until another was built. The rock-paper-scissors game that decided this had quickly turned into a sparring tournament, one that ended when snake realized they were scaring Loklynn and bit the bullet himself to spare her.

His mercy, however, was largely wasted.

Shanks was updating the captain's log after Jimbei left when he heard a small knock at the door. A very, very small knock; He pretty much knew who it was before opening the door, even without observation haki. The captain rose with a sigh to let her in.

"Bit past your bedtime, kiddo," he greeted her, leaning against the door jam with a small smile

"Bit past your bedtime, kiddo," he greeted her, leaning against the door jam with a small smile. She nodded but remained silent, fidgeting with her hands and avoiding his eyes. Yeah... he'd pretty much expected this. No six year old- sorry, six and a half year old- would be able to sleep easily after what she'd been through. He waited another moment for her to ask to come in, but she said nothing.

Then it hit him: Ah. So she was too proud to actually say it, was she? Geez, this kid.
With a small chuckle, he stood aside and motioned her inside with a slight bow.

"Well come on in, then. Make yourself at home."

He closed the door behind her and went back to his desk. He spun the chair around so that it was facing the rest of the room. She was standing by the door, unsure of what to do with herself.

"You're free to look around," he assured her, motioning to the display case on the wall to his left. "The things I have on the shelf over there are souvenirs from different places we've been. Just be careful with anything sharp, okay?"

As expected, a spark of wonder ignited in her eyes as she noticed the shiny spread of odds and ends that he indicated, a tangible record of his travels. It was a hard-earned collection, one he was quite proud of himself, with various baubles and knickknacks brought in from the farthest corners of the world; Any child would be delighted at the prospect of sorting through such mysterious treasures, and Loklynn was no exception. Shanks propped his cheek in his hand and smiled as the awestruck girl began picking through the mementos with child-like reverence.

When he was sure that she was sufficiently distracted, he turned back to finish his writing. Shanks was a world-class procrastinator; if he didn't get his shit done while he was on a roll, it wouldn't get done at all. After a few silent minutes, a pair of small hands propped themselves on the desk beside him so loklynn could poke her head over the top.

"What are you doing?" She asked curiously.

Shanks jumped and looked down at her in surprise. Damn; he must have been really tired if the little squirt had actually managed to sneak up on him.

"Well," he picked up the topmost slips of the ream of paper on his desk, "this is my captain's log. It's kind of like... a storybook I'm writing about all the adventures my crew and I have out at sea. I update it every few days. Or try to, at least."