Chapter 26: When a Deer Bites The Hunter

After Loklynn finished showing Kai where everything was and helped her get the private shower in Kid's room started, she sat herself down outside the door with a sigh to finally relax. Maizie came to lay beside her, placing her giant fluffy head in her lap and gazing up at her with baleful eyes.
Loklyn began running her hand through the animal's bountiful black fur with a sigh as she reached out mentally.

"I'm sorry, Maizie; this must be very stressful for you and your friend" she said softly. "It can't be easy to allow yourselves to trust us after being alone for so long."

'Kai has only me. I found her in the forest long ago when she was running from the men who took her pup-sister and killed my old friends. I must protect her, no matter what happens.'

"Your old- ah, her parents?" Loklynn assumed before having another thought: "Maizie, how are you able to grow and shrink like that? It's obviously not normal..."

'I was forced to eat a strange fruit by my last owner. I used it to escape,' Maizie gruffed shortly. There was a slight twinge of pain in the dog's psyche.

"A devil fruit, then. Do you know what-"

"Uh, were you just... talking to the dog?"

Both the fairy and the hound looked up to see Killer making his way towards them from further down the hallway, drinking water through his mask using a straw. He stopped about ten feet away and raised his hands in a placating gesture when Maizie let out a rumble of warning; apparently she still didn't trust the rest of the crew.

"Yes, actually; I use a combination of my Haki and powers to make the connection," Loklynn confirmed. He cocked his head and she clarified, "they can't exactly speak per say. it's more like I take their emotions, the abstract images, and their intent, and translate it. It took some practice, sort of like learning a whole new language."

"Huh. weird," deciding to let it go, Killer shrugged and took another sip of his drink. "I came to tell you lunch is ready. I whipped up a bowl of ground beef for the hell hound... a big one."

"That was kind of you."

"Mhm. Figured it was better to share the food stores than get eaten," the soldier quipped lightly before getting serious again. "How's the shrimp?"

The girl sighed and looked down at the oversized puppy in her lap. "Still on edge. She's nervous, but she's making do; she's a brave girl."

A chuckle from Killer prompted a curious look from her. "Sorry," he shook his masked head, "just reminds me of another certain someone we recently took under our wing... no pun intended."

"Intended or not, that was terrible," she scoffed.

"I try."

"I'm sure." Loklynn gently pushed Maizie's head off her lap so she could get up. "Well, I suppose I'd better get some spare blankets; I think I'll give Kai the bed and make a pallet for myself."

A familiar huff of amusement came from down the hall. "Sorry, Bright-eyes... but no dice."

Loklynn raised an eyebrow at the captain as he swaggered closer with a mischievous expression that could only spell trouble for her. She was suddenly very, very nervous, and she always got the feeling that he enjoyed seeing her in that state.

"What exactly do you mean by that...?" She asked slowly.

When Kid reached her, he leaned over her with a salacious grin, forcing her to back up into the wall. He propped himself up with a hand on either side of her head, pointedly ignoring the threat of Maizie's vicious teeth less than a foot from his ankle.