Chapter 23: Kippérnika Kai (Part 2)

Kid was, predictably, slightly salty after that particular jab from Kai. He obliged her request by releasing his grip while she was still in the air, forcing her dog to run underneath her and catch her on her back with a panicked "BWOOO!!"

Kai and Maizie's startlingly similar growls didn't faze the snickers of the three men. Loklynn crossed her arms and fixed Kid with a stern stare that he promptly ignored.

"Alright Koi," the captain said over his shoulder as he turned to start down the street, "follow us, we'll talk details back at the ship."

"Wha- Oi, my name is Kai! K-a-i, KAI!" The girl shouted after him

"Wha- Oi, my name is Kai! K-a-i, KAI!" The girl shouted after him. "Do I look like a friggin' fish to you?!"

"Nah... more like a shrimp," Killer cut in, drawing more chuckles from Kid and Heat and a dark scowl from said shrimp.

"Would you three give it a rest?" Loklynn sighed. She stopped and turned back when she realized that Maizie had stopped following them. "Kai? Is something wrong?"

The others stopped as well. Kai met each of their gazes in turn as they faced her to wait for an explanation. Her own eyes were stone cold and suspicious.

"You better not be backing out, pipsqueak. Word of advice: never break a deal with a pirate," Kid warned her lowly. Kai shook her head.

"It's not that. You just said it yourself, you're a pirate. I might need your help, but still... what makes you think I'm dumb enough to let you drag me to your turf?" She asked. "You could set sail the second I stepped on board, force me to fix up your arm, and toss me into the sea afterwards."

Kid considered this for a moment. "You're a sharp one, ain'tcha? But no, that's not gonna happen. The same rules stand with me; I never break a deal."

Her eyes thoroughly searched his. "You're not lying... so I'll trust you for now."

"Good, 'cause the schematics for this baby," he flexed his prosthetic, "are back on the ship, and coming all the way back would be annoying as shit. 'Sides, it's lunchtime and I'm starving, so Let's get the fuck outta dodge already."

They walked in silence for awhile. Kai was on Kid's left side, riding Maizie like a fluffy horse. Loklynn tried to walk next to her, but was dragged over to Kid's right side so that his arm could drape itself over her shoulders. Killer and Heat brought up the rear, hefting what had to be nearly three hundred pounds of cargo with ease.

"So where'd you find a dog that huge?" Asked Killer after a few minutes. "The thing looks more like a bear than a canine."

"This is my friend Maizie Black," Kai informed him over her shoulder with a pat of Maizie's head. "Be careful, she's vicious. Maize found me three years ago, after..." she trailed off.

"After what?"

"Um... can this wait 'til we get to your ship? I... I really don't wanna tell the story twice," she said quietly, running her hands through her companion's bountiful black fur.