Familiar Faces

"Oh, director sir. Nice to see you again. Who have you brought along today?" a giggly voice chirps as it approaches from behind.

"This is second lieutenant, Yuri Briar. A remarkable lad. He'll go straight to the top with his talent."

As she moves to stand by the director's chair, you see it's one of the many scantily clad waitresses of the wirsthaus.

"And his looks," she quips with a wink that the director returns with a hearty laugh.

How does she know the director? Does he come here that often?

"So, what can I get you two gentlemen tonight?"

"Peppermint schnaps to start, and two of your best steaks with the usual wine."

"Coming right up!" she answers before scampering off through the slurry of officers and cigarette smoke.

"This place is popular with the boys because it's so close to the firm, but also because we basically own it," the director explains as he lights up and takes a drag. "We bought out the rooms upstairs for private meetings and have the building checked for wire taps almost daily."

"I see," you answer flatly after pulling out the pack from your chest pocket and striking up one of your own.

"Most of the men in the firm live in the dorms and could eat the food in the canteen for free, but I don't blame them for coming here instead. The food is good, the booze is cheap, and the girls are easy on the eyes."

The lull in the conversation goes unnoticed by you, the ruckus of the pub filling the void where words and thoughts should be.

"Pretty young thing isn't she, Yuri?" the director chortles.

"Sir?"

"You haven't taken your eyes off her since she left the table five minutes ago."

"Oh... Please excuse my poor manners. You were saying, sir?"

"I heard from the first lieutenant that your sister is married now, so you don't have to worry about her so much. You're finally free to experience the throes of love for yourself."

The knowing smirk tugging at his moustache leaves you wondering what exactly it is that he knows.

"I appreciate the concern, sir, but the first rule in our line of work is not to get emotionally involved."

Quirking a thick brow he counters, "I believe what is meant by that is not to let your emotions dictate your actions and responses when you're on the job, not that you can't have a girlfriend, Yuri."

Some part of you is oddly relieved when the server returns to interject, "Two Berliner Luft. Enjoy!"

As she sets down the pre-dinner liquor, you automatically redirect the conversation back to work. But you don't remember much after that. If the schnaps didn't get you, the wine certainly did.

That was two weeks ago. She was the last person you expected to cross paths with outside of the pub, least of all at your own darling sister's house. While Yor introduces her, you make a mental run-through of the file you requested on the new neighbour when she moved in two months prior.

I guess the photo was wrong or terrible quality. I knew Yor had a new neighbour from keeping tabs on this apartment complex, but I wasn't expecting it to be her... I checked the files to make sure Yor wasn't being put in danger. The tenant seemed like a normal bar maid. I thought she worked nights at the pub though. Why does she have to be here now? Grrrrrrr

Her voice is more familiar than it should be for only having been served once, but it's her words that snap you from your thoughts quicker than her cadence.