Kaffee Kuchen

Credit to the goddess who drew the art: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/98913910

»»————- ♡ ————-««

One ring. Two rings. Three rings.

I know you're at home, woman, so just pick up already!

It's another four rings before there's an answer.

"Hello?" A soft voice rough with sleep picks up the call.

"One o'clock at the green café on East Street," is all you tell her before hanging up the payphone and returning to the dorms to pass out for a few hours. You have a habit of pulling consecutive all-nighters to listen in on the wiretaps whenever a target is close to making a move. Now that the job is complete, you can finally relax a bit.

By the time your alarm rings, the sun should be streaming through the windows, but it seems the sky is already tainted by the gloomy colours of approaching winter. You begin to wonder what possessed you to call her on your first day off in a week, but soon reassure yourself that you simply need to know that your sister is safe from that wretched husband of hers.

Despite the clouds, the air is still warm enough to sit outside, so when you reach the café, you pull out a wooden chair from one of the dozen little tables lining the sidewalk and wait. You watch the passers-by keenly. It's second nature at this point. Nothing is amiss, save for the fact that she's not on time. You go through two cigarettes before you catch the approaching sound of scurrying heels against pavement.

When you eventually bother to look her direction, you see she's out of breath and guess she must have run most of the way. As she slides into the seat across from you, she smiles and holds out a paper bag.

"You're late, fräulein," you state and ignore the offering.

"I know. I got a little caught up..." Bashfully, she looks away from your unimpressed gaze.

"Doing what?" you demand and take the bag only because it's annoying to try and look past.

"Uh, open the gift and you'll see..."

Entertaining her idiotic whims, you open the bag to see many round, lumpy pastries coated in powdered sugar. Furrowing your brow, you try and decipher the objects. They look oddly familiar.

"What are they supposed to be?"

"Knieküchle."

"And what the hell is that?"

"Oh, maybe that's not what your mutti would have called them. Does auszogne ring a bell?"

You shake your head, frustration mounting by the second.

"How about bauernkrapfen?"

"Oh..." The vague acknowledgement of recognition sneaks past your lips before you can stop yourself. Her smile sweetens like she's won a prize, but your mood sours like you've just lost.

"I was talking with Yor about the kinds of things your mutti might have cooked. She mentioned the stew that her coworker helped her make and that it was from the south. That's probably why your family would have called this bauernkrapfen. Anyway, when Yor told me about the pastries your mutti baked, I thought these might be it."

Staring down into the bag again, it's suddenly obvious the misshapen circles of dough look exactly like your favourite childhood treat - sugared stretched doughnuts.

"So, what can I get for you two?" The deep tenor of the server wakes you from your reverie. You haven't actually read the menu since arriving; too busy people watching to be bothered.