25 - Goodbyes

Patrick put his suitcase in the backseat, squinting with one eye back at the house. It was common for Griffin to shorten his welcomings, but this was a new level of un-hospitality that Patrick knew he shouldn't push further. He had done all he could do for his cousin and for himself, and with that, it was time to follow orders and leave.

Everything would work out one way or the other.

He rubbed his sore jaw, a small smile escaping his lips.

The sun had barely peaked and the entire property was silent. So when he heard footsteps run towards him, he was shocked to see someone running towards him.

"Catriona?" Patrick asked as she approached. "What are you doing up so early?"

"I didn't sleep," she admitted, the dark circles under her puffy eyes confirming the statement. "Are you leaving?"

"You? Never. However, I do have some business to attend to for some time. I don't know when I'll return."

Catriona fumbled with her dress. "Then last night did you mean --"

She stopped. His lips pulled to the side in flattery.

"My proposal?" he asked. "I meant it. Are you considering it?"

She fidgeted, looking at her feet. It wasn't a no, but it wasn't an answer of any confidence, and Patrick knew exactly why.

"Why don't you come with me?" Patrick asked.

Catriona's head shot up. "What?"

"Come with me," Patrick said again. "Stop working for Nathaniel. He doesn't appreciate you like he should, you know. And besides that, an engaged woman shouldn't be working. She should be at her fiancee's side."

Something in her eyes stirred when he said it, and he knew that despite Catriona and Griffin's obvious dance around each other, Patrick had every opportunity to cut in.

"Alright," Catriona said. "I'll come with you."

Patrick's eyebrows lifted. "Just like that?"

She nodded, her shoulders suddenly straighter. "Just like that."

Patrick knew it was too easy, but he wasn't going to be ungrateful for it. A beautiful woman agreeing to run away with him was far too exciting.

"Go grab your things then," he said. "Meet me back here in ten minutes."

She nodded slowly, turning back to the house and running inside. She was like a young doe as she walked, Patrick thought. So young and innocent, optimistic and wild.

And completely unaware of hunters.

*****

Rose chewed her lip.

Nathaniel hadn't denied their engagement. It seemed as if he had been too distracted by other things to really clarify the situation. And Nathaniel would never lose face in front of his father. It was something that would drive him to the brink of madness if he hadn't crossed over to it already.

No matter how much Rose had tried to reach Nathaniel in his drive for success, she had watched him slowly slip into his need to outdo his father. There was nothing it that was attractive to her. She surrounded herself daily - not by choice, mind you - with men who did the same things for the same reasons. She found them incredibly boring. Always talking about the next big thing as if it would change what they already had, like their discontentment would vanish from another dollar. Perhaps it was in a man's self-worth to be expensive. It was in Rose's best interest to be worth paying for.