05;

chapter five,     descendants

𝕯arkling

            AFTER ENTERING THE FOLD, HE FELT PISSED. His own glorious creation, the proof of his enormous power and yet, no one knew it was him that made it, and for what was worth of it, his own creation turned against him.

            This was supposed to be a weapon against all of those people that been after his people for centuries. It was supposed to rewrite the world and help him save all of the people that have suffered. Only to be left with a Fold that didn't respond to his power because of the people his power has taken—they became monsters, who were refusing to give in to his abilities just because they weren't created by him. They could be only destroyed by a Sun Summoner.

            Sun Summoners are rare just like Shadow Summoners and that was a clear fact since four centuries passed searching for the person who had that ability and he found no one. To his pleasure, the fold was slowly expanding itself, but it wasn't fast enough and it wasn't under his control.

            The Fold created more problems when he couldn't control it. It would be way easier to silence General Zlatan with a snap of his fingers, but here he was, going through the void he has created himself and he felt like a stranger.

            He averted his eyes from the small, blue light on the deck of the ship, turning his head to the Squaller who was moving this ship forward as there were only a few people there. Whenever it was for the purposes of the Royal Family, only a few people were necessary to cross the Fold, not only smaller ships were safer, but all of the people here knew how to act here.

            Except for this time, there was Liya. But she was managing it well.

            "Could you describe it to me?" her silent voice reached his ears, making her look at him, noticing that she was on edge of breaking that railing in her grip even if she seemed contained at first sight.

            The Darkling was standing behind her, his chest almost brushing with her back as he leaned closer, her body reacting to their close proximity. Leaning to her ear, he murmured, "Oddly soothing."

            The woman breathed in through her nose, gently moving so he could face her side, pressing her lower back to the railing, gripping it with both of her hands. "I believe you only say that because it is a part of your ability."

            "Are you afraid of the dark, Miss Safin?"

            Her lips twitched in the exact same way when she was building up her walls, but to his surprise, she answered, "All I can see is pitch darkness. I wouldn't have lived for so long if I was afraid."

            The Darkling has never thought of her that way – always surrounded by darkness. He liked to think of himself as a better specie because of his abilities and because he knew that others were jealous of the power that was given to him. It took him some time to learn to love the shadows that followed her, so he completely understood her words—she was afraid of the dark until she was left alone with it.