09;

chapter nine,     waiting

chapter nine, waiting

𝕯arkling

            LIYA WILL NOT LEAVE THIS PLACE. He won't allow it. With that being said, he alerted both Fedyor and Ivan, to put some guards outside her door and monitor each and every step of her in this Palace. If she didn't want to stay here – he will have to make her stay, because there was no other way. She was a Grisha and she belonged here.

            The issue of General Zlatan's death was solved. In fact, he didn't even think that carrying an unconscious Liya back to the Little Palace, would get him a great story to say to convince the idiot King. None of the high-rank people blamed him for what happened, because putting on an act of a scared man with a fainted woman in his hands spoke for itself.

            The assassination happened when they were visiting. Liya got terribly scared and she fainted as soon as those people got into the mansion. The Darkling was forced to run away with her, for their own safety and everyone bought that story. It might have not eased the warning alarms of a Civil War, but it got rid of unnecessary dangers and that idiot, who trafficked Grisha.

            The Darkling was in a foul mood because his plan didn't work the way he wanted it to. He wanted to kill two rabbits in one shot, but at least no disaster occurred. At first, he was blaming her for his impulsiveness in killing Zlatan, but then it seemed to fade away quickly.

            She didn't show up for three days. Not showing up in the dining hall, not coming for the lessons, not even the garden. She barricaded herself in the room, not letting anyone in except Genya. At first, he didn't really think much of it – she was hurt and he has betrayed her. But then, when she finally showed up and dropped that nonsense about leaving – he was raging.

            "Goodbye, General."

            Her words rang inside of his mind at any given opportunity. Yet he felt at ease, knowing that he ordered the guards to stay outside her door and not let anyone in or out. He knew that one way or another, she will come to terms and start working with him again.

            She killed five soldiers with a simple movement of her wrist. In pure rage and panic. She was marvellous.

            The man had enough morals left to understand that what he did was wrong. Nonetheless, it was important. All of his life he was doing everything to protect Grisha from the horrors they have to face and pushing Liya into complete darkness was low of him. She did seem weak, gullible, and lonely and it seemed like it wouldn't be much damage to use her for this plan, which he very well ruined out of his own impulse.

            Hearing her say that she was leaving, made his heart hammer uneasily. Guilt. It was unfamiliar almost, a feeling that was unwelcome inside of him. He noticed the way she teared up when she admitted that Fjerdans touched her and that it was foolish of him to place her in the same situation. He realises that now. All he has to do is hope that she'll understand.