09;

chapter nine,      the inevitable

𝓐leksander

AT THIS POINT, Aleksander realised that he didn't know many words to describe someone's beauty. Seeing Liya in her new kefta, specifically made for this celebration, stirred something inside of him. This kefta wasn't crimson as the ones that belonged to Heartrenders, but it was black. Only there were crimson lines surrounding the collar, moving down to the buttons, showing her powers. But now, she was carrying a part of him.

"I need you to tell me why Fedyor couldn't let me wear my kefta and made me put on a new one," Liya demanded, standing beside the door as she just walked into his office.

"I asked them to make you a new one," he explained.

Confusion rose in her face: "Was there something wrong with it?"

"No. But this one suits you better," he admitted. "Now, we share the same colour."

Realisation hit her and she immediately placed her hand on the button, starting to unbutton it, shaking her head: "Black is your colour. As far as I know, no one can wear it if they are not Shadow Summoners."

"You're talking as if the Shadow Summoner is not with us in the room," walking closer to her, said Aleksander. "You're a part of me, Liya. And, my colour fits you well."

Liya winced, stretching out her arms, not having to do so for long as he was already in front of her. She gently hit his chest with her palms, shaking her head: "I don't want people to talk."

"All they do is talk, my dearest Liya. And I'm courting you."

The woman seemed to remember how official everything actually was than it had to be: "Darkling," she disapprovingly called him out.

"Grisha," he replied in a teasing manner, earning a gasp from her.

"You want me to suffer, don't you?" She breathed out, leaning forward, placing her head against his chest and closing her eyes.

Aleksander wrapped his hands around her, with all the love his heart had. "All I have ever done is made you suffer... I want to make you feel safe," he softly said against the crown of her head. "I'm sure you know how courting ends, my darling."

That seemed to ignite something inside her and she pulled away, flustered. "Making me wear your colour! Just—insufferable, you are insufferable!"

The man smiled, seeing her so worked up. It lifted his spirits to her so flustered, so flustered by the thought of having a future with him. And himself, he wasn't a man who dared to dream, but this time he allowed himself to. He had all the eternity in front of him and he wished for nothing more than to have her beside him. He knew that they weren't the same and that she didn't have an eternity in front of her. But he'll figure that out. He has time.