08;

chapter eight,     i want to be yours

𝓐leksander & 𝕷iya

          ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY-THREE scars were plunged deep into her skin. He counted them all. He could only do so because of the way she was sleeping, her breathing even and her face calm. Aleksander was mesmerised by a woman, who only recently showed another part of herself – her scars.

            Fjerdans were known for their torturing techniques. It was a mystery how they didn't end up killing Liya when she was captured for so long. Perhaps they were trying something unknown, in the meantime leaving scars on her body to remind her of who she was. A witch to them. A marvellous Grisha to him.

            His hand softly dropped on her shoulder as she wasn't facing him, the rising sun was glorifying her and for once, he was more than content with light. It finally soothed him and didn't remind him that he would never be able to have light of his own. He gently pushed the ring with the metal claw down her skin, not intending to hurt her or leave scars, but to watch how the little goose bumps appeared on her skin. He didn't deserve serenity, yet he drank it whole as he had been deprived.

            Aleksander moved closer to her, pushing his hand underneath her arm, wrapping it around her waist and pulling himself closer to her. He buried his nose into the back of her neck and deeply inhaled. The memory of the previous night was igniting all of the senses and the taste of her lingered in his mouth. Never thought of being able to cherish someone like this, now he was getting drunk on the senses alone.

            She twitched in her arms and her even breathing was overtaken by a deep exhale. Her body slightly froze, but she quickly eased down and didn't move an inch.

            "I haven't slept like this in..." She started, her voice silent.

            "Forever. Me as well." He admitted.

            Liya placed her hand on his which was around her waist. He didn't move, his face buried in her neck as he was just breathing in her scent, lulling himself with it so that he didn't realise that the whole room didn't have that ray of sunshine anymore. It was covered with his shadows.

            "Describe it to me," she asked.

            Only then did he slightly move and notice the darkness they were inside, but he could see her perfectly. After all, the darkness was a part of him that he knew so well. He wondered, if she could see this darkness, would she be afraid? Would she walk away from him if she could see how he is?

            "Sometimes it comes unexpectedly," he admitted. "Just like now."

            "Did something happen?" She shifted in her place with worry, wanting to turn around, but he didn't let her. He locked her with his arms and placed his head on her shoulder.