The girl in the woods

The boys rounded the corner of the house as I hopped down.

"Seriously" Mike huffed.

"Hello to you too little Wheeler"

The boys sped past me towards my parked car. I practically had to run after them.
The four of us all hopped in my car.

"So---you guys gonna to tell me where we're going"

"Just drive" Dustin spat out with annoyance.

"Gosh I hate children" I mumbled sarcastically under my breath as I turned the ignition on.

I began to drive. I turned and went down a bunch of random roads. The boys remained silent a majority of the drive, only blurting out to tell me which direction to go.

I was driving down one of the back roads when Mike demanded I pull over. I immediately jumped to move over to the shoulder stopping right in front of a fence like barrier. I could see the police line placed up upon it. Neither Lucas or Mike wasted anytime time in jumping right out of the vehicle. Both wore their raincoats with a flash light in hand. They both went right over the barrier, completely ignoring the posted sign, making their way into the wooded area, the rain pouring down heavily on them. Dustin hesitated for a minute though. He looked a little uneasy. I could see the stress and fear on his face. He was always such an easy read.

"Dustin what is going on" I ask, desperation in my voice. These boys and their antics always stressed me out a bit I will say but, to see Dustin like this, freaked me out.

"We're looking for Will ok." I could hear the fear breaking through in his voice. He hadn't quite opened up to my mother or me about Will disappearing. He after all was the last person to see him before he disappeared.

"Dustin it's not safe. The police are looking, there is nothing we can do. Now let's go. Why don't we get Mike and Lucas back in the car then we can leave.

Dustin nodded for a moment but then looked over at his friends. I could see Mike and Lucas looking back. They were gesturing for him to come over. He looked back at me once more then turned and hopped out of the car.

Of course, like why would he listen. Now I found myself running after the three into the woods. The rain poured down as I chased them, skipping and leaping over the random branches that fell on the path.

"Will"

"I got your X-Men 134"

"Will" the boys yelled.

"I want to go home" Dustin confessed.

"I agree, it's dark, and coming down pretty hard. I really don't think we should be out here anymore" I yelled back.

"Stop being babies" Lucas argued.

"Do you ever think Will went missing because he ran into something bad, and were going to the exact same spot he went missing... with no weapons to protect ourselves" Dustin explained.

"Well, we have your sister." Lucas added

"Please, that girl can't make it through a horror movie with out crying"

"Hey watch it. I make an exceptional  get away driver by the way." 

I finally started to catch up with the boys. 

I could see them, their backs to me. I could see the flashlights beaming ahead. When I made my way closer I could see that their flashlights were drawn upon something.

Was that a kid? Did they seriously just find a kid? 

At first glance I deep down thought they did the impossible, and found Will but, when I got closer I realized it was a child. A little girl I had never met. Her head was completely buzzed. She appeared to be wearing a long yellow t-shirt that she was practically swimming in. It broke me a little to see this girl absolutely drenched from the rain, she was breathing so heavily. All I could see was a fearful expression upon her face.

The boys remained staring at the poor kid, like she was some show. I immediately ripped off my rain coat to place around the girl. She appeared to be around Dustin's age.

"Hey kid, is everything ok? Are you lost? " She didn't answer back.

"Why don't we get you of the woods, and warmed up, then we can try and find your parents." I suggested.

The girl gave me a confused look. She seemed is such distress. Her eyes darting around at every little noise. She was clearly on high alert.

I carefully reached out in front to offer her my hand. She paused for a second, giving me the same confused and fearful look. After a moment, she slowly reached out, grabbing my hand lightly. She reached with such caution, I assume to be able to break away if she felt threatened. I didn't blame her. I would be pretty freaked out if I were her too.

We carefully made our way back to my car. The girls hand never leaving mine. For some reason it seemed that she trusted me, in the slightest. As we got closer to the car she began to hold my hand harder. I could feel the desperation as she gripped onto my hand tightly. When we arrived I sent the boys to the back seats while I offered the girl the front seat. This way she could see me at all times, and see exactly where we were going. I then began to make my way back to the Wheeler's.