life of the party

A/N - I have recently been getting a little more traction on this story which is super exciting! So thank you for checking this story out. I have been working on this for awhile and know the general direction I'm trying to go in, but would love any feedback or ideas!

Steve greeted Nancy and Barb at the door. Part of me felt like it had been ripped apart when I heard Nancy's voice. 

I didn't know what this feeling was... who was I kidding I knew exactly what this was.

I stayed on the couch as the two girls entered.

Steve went out back towards the pool to check things out.

Nancy immediately caught glimpse of me on the couch.

"How long have you been waiting" she questioned

"probably like 20 minutes or something, I thought you guys would have been here earlier or something" I replied.

"We got caught up at Barb's" Nancy rolled her eyes.

Steve started on his way back towards up

"You know y/n you should probably move your car back the neighbors might be suspicious" Nancy stated.

"What's the issue?" Steve questioned.

"Nancy thinks I need to move,  something about your neighbors" I added.

"Oh them yeah that's not too big a deal, those guys wouldn't bother to say anything" said Steve.

He gestured to us to follow him out back.

The two shots finally were starting to hit me. I felt like I was fighting for my life as I made my way over. I went to take a step down onto the outside deck, it was if in that moment that my legs gave up. An arm grabbed me. It was Steve. He let out a burst of laughter as did I.

 Nancy glared back at me once more as Steve guided me over to one of the pool chairs, which I collapsed into. I was using every ounce of self-control to keep myself from breaking into laughter.

Nancy and Barb looked on in disapproval, Steve sat down in the chair next to me lighting a cigarette in his hand. Tommy and Carol were by the edge of the pool. 

"What is wrong with you" Nancy questioned

"Nothing" I said spitting out a laugh after.

"She's drunk Nance" Barb butted in, I could see the disappointment in her face. 

While yes, I was friends with these girl, but I was the odd one out of their little group of two, and that was blatantly obvious right now. The judgement they gave me if I didn't follow their actions was far more then I am willing to put up with right now. I could have opinions as well about Nancy's little charade she put on for Steve, but I would keep it to myself.

Steve got up and began to shot gun a beer right in front of us all, tossing the empty can on the ground. 

"is that supposed to impress me" Nancy remarked to Steve.

"your not?" Steve replied with a smirk taking the cigarette from behind his ear.

"Your a cliche, you do realize that" 

"You Are a cliche. What with your...grades... and your band practice."

I broke out in a fit of laughter. Honestly I don't know what has gotten into me.

Nancy continued her death glare my way but Steve at least gave me a laugh.

"I'm so not in band." she denied

"Okay, party girl. Why don't you just, uh, show us how it's done, then?" he handed her a beer can.

Nancy struggled to get the can open, clearly not well versed in this type of action.

"I want to try" I blurted out, stumbling my way. Steve tossed me the beer and I grabbed the knife out of Nancy's hand. Cutting into the can the liquid started coming out and I had no choice but to go for it.

I have never shotgunned before but the confidence was on my side right now. I chugged that thing as the others cheered me on. 

I finished it rather quick for what I thought

"Okay life of the party over here, I see how it is." Steve said in approval.

I plopped myself down on the seat next to Steve that Nancy had just gotten up from.

Nancy eventually got the whole can thing situated and shotgunned it herself. She got a little praise from Steve and his friends, but in my opinion not as much as me... not that it's a competition or anything. Nancy looked over at Barb as if it were her turn. She looked sick, no way did she want to do this and me in my blur state could see that.

"Barb you wanna try?"

"What? No. No I don't want to, thanks" She stammered.

"Come on" Nancy directed towards Barb.

"No I don't want to" Barb said defensively.

"Barb, you don't have to it's fine, Nance just cool it" I chimed in.

Nancy approached Barb with a can "Just give it a shot"

Barb reluctantly got up. 

Everyone watched on as Barb began to stab into the can until suddenly the can slipped causing her to slice her hand. She looked startled as she looked down at the blood dripping from her hand... it was rough. I immediately tried to hop up, but my balance was failing me as a stumbled to the side. Steve slightly caught my shoulder guiding me back down to me seat as he made his way over to Barb.