Stranger Danger

I whirl in surprise having not noticed the man standing slightly to the left of me. I hadn't even heard him walk up.

He's tall, maybe six foot, lean, olive skinned and dark brown hair. I don't find him remarkably breathtaking but he certainly took the breath right out of me from his quiet approach; so much so that my mouth stays hinged for a moment before my brain tells me to act.

"Um..." But I manage very little. Who is he? Where did he come from? I've never seen him around here before.

"Hello, I'm Jonas." He offers a hand. My breath hitches at the sound of his voice. I hadn't realized the accent when he'd spoken the first time. Was he French?

I hesitate only a second, then off my hand, which is a feat given the bulk of groceries I've already retrieved from the trunk. "Um, sorry." I juggle the bags then sigh and smile sheepishly. "I'm Ava. Do you live around here?"

He grins and it's a cross between genuine and mocking. "I've just moved into apartment B2." He says and I can hear the smirk in his voice. What's so amusing to him?

"Oh." I breathe then realize his words. "Oh! You're the new tenant. I thought I saw the super this morning in the apartment. You'll like it. Mr. Gable can be demanding at times if you're ever late on your rent but his wife straightens him out."

He says nothing for a moment as his eyes stay locked on my face. I think they're green or maybe a hazel-brown but I can't be sure given the distance between us. Then I feel a little awkward just standing there silently with my arms full of groceries.

"So, do you need help with your purchases, Ava?"

I jerk involuntarily upon hearing my name from his lips. What was that? I didn't jerk when Harry said my name, or Sam or even Audrey. To compensate for my reaction I loosen my grip on the two bags in my arms and allow Jonas to carry the load.

"Yes. Thank you, Jonas."

"My pleasure. Lead the way." he gives a nod toward the building and I hurriedly grab another bag, leaving an arm free so that I can open the door easily.

My heels click-clack across the concreted sidewalk and up the steps to the main door. I hold the door open allowing Jonas to enter before making sure it's sealed then make for the stairs.

"Would it not be easier to take the elevator?" Jonas asks, sounding genuinly concerned that I've opted for the stairs instead. My foot pauses mid air before I settle in on the first rung and I turn a smile over my shoulder.

"Easier, yes, but I don't do things the easy way. Plus, I need to lose a few pounds so I've taken to the stairs for the last few weeks."

His eyes rove over me momentarily before returning to my gaze "No comment." Did that mean he agreed that I needed to lose weight? I scoff internally. So what did it matter? I wasn't trying to impress him or anyone else. I just wanted to wear a few of my favorite dresses I'd worn last year without looking like I was wearing a miniature inner tube around my waist beneath them.

I hear his snort and imagine him rolling his eyes at my back as I turn away. he says nothing more as I lead him up the two flights of stairs and to apartment B3, which happens to be directly across from his. I catch his narrow eyed glance between the two doors before I unlock mine and place the bag just inside my door indicating with a hand roll for him to do the same.

He may have been nice enough to help me with my purchases, but I don't know him well enough to give him entry to my personal domain.

"Thanks for the help. I'll just run down and get the others, now."

I make to close my door once more when he lifts a halting hand. "Let me. And I'll be sure to latch the boot." I frown. Latch the boot? "The trunk." He clarifies seeing my confusion. "I forget sometimes that most of you... Americans speak so much differently than my people."