A Bit of The Past

The week is a blur until Thursday rolls around. I'm in my apartment getting dressed for Harry's party when a knock sounds at my door. I'm caught between putting in and earring and slipping on a heel.

Walking with a limp having one bare foot and one encased in a five inch heel, while I'm fastening a stud in my ear, I open the door to find Jonas.

"Well, I was going to ask you out tonight, but it seems you're already appeasing me." He teases with a smirk.

"Ha, ha. Sorry, you're too late. I already have plans."

A thump sounds from inside the apartment next door and I figure the brother is the cause.

"May I ask with whom?" Jonas asks after casting a frown toward his door.

I shrug. "A party in honor of my bosses sixty-fifth. He's been going strong since he was given the news that he'd die within six months."

"Oh, I'm sorry." Jonas interrupts.            

I shake my head. "That was four years ago, so his birthday's have become momentous with his family. I didn't go last year and I thought about it being his last and so now I am going. I don't want to regret not going if it were his last." I pause and send him a grin. "Sorry, I'm babbling."

"It's late. How far is the drive?" Worry wart. I roll my eyes heavenward before answering.

"Across town. I can be there in twenty minutes." I frown up at him as I bend to strap on my other heel. "Why are you worried about me being out late? First the trip to the beach house, then Tuesday when I had to run out for milk and now tonight."

Jonas purses his lips, tucking his hands in the pockets of his pressed chocolate slacks. "The night brings out the weirdos." He says finally.

I scoff. "Yeah. I know that. I'm a big girl."

"Drunks and psychos." He elaborates. "I just want to make sure you make it there safe and sound. What time does it start?"

"Seven." I answer and quickly check the time.  I have five minutes to get out the door to make it there on time. I hold up a finger asking him to wait a minute in silence as I speed walk to my room and grab the other stud and my clutch. When I return Jonas is still outside my door. I like that he doesn't try to invade my space without invitation.

"Will you call me to let me know you've arrived?"

I search his face wondering what's gotten into him to be so worried about me. but if I'm going to be his friend I understand, because I'd be worried for him as well. "I'll need your number to do that, won't I?"

I hurriedly punch in his number in my contact list as I'm locking my door in the process. When I turn to face him he's too close, his chin brushing the top of my head. I back into the door and lift my head to give him a hesitant smile.

"Sorry. Remember to call me, okay?"

I nod. Seeing him this worried rankles me. "I will, but won't you be at work?"

He nods curtly his jaw tightening. "Yes. But I will answer your call. You can use that number anytime, day or night and I will answer."

"Okay." I swallow a forming lump in my throat. Worry lines form above his brow as he watches me with dark eyes. "I promise."

I leave him in the hall, taking the stairs as usual and feeling pinpricks against my back from his following gaze.

It takes less than twenty minutes to reach Sam's house and before I climb out of the car I speed dial Jonas.

"Suaveterre."

"Er... Jonas?"

"Sorry, Ava. I didn't pay attention to the screen. Have you arrived?"