Uninhibited

Small world was right. Aunt June was surprised that Jon and I knew one another, but that didn't stop her from trying her best to stick us together at every opportune moment over the next few hours.

"I'm really sorry." I told Jonas for the umpteenth time.

"Don't be. I am not." He shook his head lounging back against the porch swing. The chains creaked as he used his foot to gently sway the swing beneath us.

"Maybe not, but she's being so obvious." It was obvious to everyone. Even Tina had asked if Jonas was my new boyfriend and gave me a disbelieving look when I told her we were neighbors.

Jonas chuckled, running a hand down his face. "She was but at least you can't look at me and say I'm a stranger anymore. So how about that coffee?" Green eyes bore into the side of my head. yes, I'd found the color of his eyes to be green having been in close proximity to him over the past hour or so. and they were a remarkable green. A mix of gold, emerald, and jade, that when catching the light were a breathtaking hazel. They were warm and friendly, despite the smirk that seemed to be a constant expression on his face.

I cast a glance at him and averted my eyes once more. I couldn't bring myself to look him straight in the eye after this evening. "I could go for coffee, but you'll have to let me set the time. I'm sort of a workaholic."

"That's fine. just make sure it isn't two years."

I rolled my eyes heaven ward. I shouldn't' have told him that little tidbit about my life. He was using it to mock me and had done so twice now. "I should, just because you said that." He chuckles in response, then shifts on the swing causing it to rock.

"Well, I guess-" A chime sounds, cutting him off and he frowns as he pulls his cell from the inside of his jacket. "Yes?" he sounds annoyed as he answers the call. His eyes shift to me briefly before answering whomever is on the line. "I'm out. No, that's my business. I don't ask you where you are when I return and you aren't home."

My eyes widen at his growled reply. Was someone waiting for him at home? My stomach knots. He's attached and he's sitting here with me while someone is waiting for his return. Yeah, he was a stranger and he was dangerous. I couldn't get involved with a man who was already in a relationship no matter if it was just coffee.

"I'll just..." I made to move to give him privacy with his call when he stood too, blocking my retreat and facing me with a frown as he continued his call.

"I was just about to leave. I'll be home later." And with that he ends the call and jams the phone into his pocket irritated. "Sorry about that."

I shake my head. "Don't be. I was just about to give you some privacy."

"It wasn't necessary. It wasn't that important." Really? His significant other wasn't important? "Brothers can be so demanding. He acts like my father sometimes."

I felt my lids open wide and heat steal my cheeks. "Brother? I thought-"

"Yes. We're sharing the apartment. You'd think that he would get his own, but noooo... he says it's cheaper to share and..." he sighs shaking his head.

"Oh." I breathe when he doesn't elaborate further. For a moment I'd thought he was having a spat with his girlfriend or... hell, he could be married for all I knew.

"Yeah. Etan is... overbearing, overprotective, and bloody unpleasant to be around."

"He's your brother." I defend the absent brother instinctively. "Be proud that you have one." If that didn't make me sound like a lonely sap then I didn't know what else could.

For a time, Jonas stares, his eyes calculating every inch of my face before a frown mars his brows. "So, the coffee? I mean you don't have to, I just thought I'd offer again."