Dazed & Confused

I groaned turning on my side. My head felt leaded and ached something terrible. However, the blankets surrounding my body were so warm I dipped deeper beneath them and willed myself to sleep. that was impossible when my blanket shifted on its own and brought with it a voice that made my eyes shoot wide.

"Sleeping beauty awakens." Jonas whispered leaning over me as I rested in his arms. I scrambled to the floor and backed away. We were in the hall outside my apartment. "I was beginning to think I'd have to kiss you to wake you up, but seeing that you and I aren't destined I would have had to have Etan do the honors."

A sharp pain slammed against my skull. The air left me as I clutched the side of my head for relief. "What's going on?" My brain wasn't functioning well enough to establish the answer on my own.

Jonas' eyes narrow, his jaw ticks as if he's frustrated. "You tripped and hit your head. Etan called me... after getting your boyfriend to his car safely."

"Boyfriend?" Just as I contemplated his meaning, Gage's face flashed across my mind and it all rushed back. "Gage isn't my boyfriend."

Jonas shrugs. "Etan heard you arguing with him. Said he was begging you to let him stay."

I nod. "We haven't been together for nearly five years. He isn't my boyfriend. I don't date married men. Especially ones that have toddlers at home who look just like him."

I see Jonas' brow lift in curiosity and shake my head at him. I hadn't meant for all that to come out and in such a vicious way. When I realized my hand was clinched in my lap I released it and climbed to my feet.

Instantly I swayed. Jonas, with a speed that my brain couldn't comprehend, had an arm around my waist to keep me steady. "You need to sit. You could have a concussion."

I felt around my head, finding the lump and shook my head at him. "There's a knot there already. I should be fine, but you are right. I feel woozy."

I allowed him to open my apartment and further allowed him entry to my domain. He paused on the threshold and I sensed his momentary reluctance to enter until I gripped his hand and silently allowed it.

"Let me get you some water. Do you have an ice pack?" He asks settling me on the sofa. I shake my head.

"I'll be fine."

Jonas frowns deeply, but instead of countering my claim he strides into the kitchen. I hear the tap run and moments later the sound of ice tinkle in the glass. A moment longer and he returns with the dish towel I hang on the hook bulging with ice and I glass of icey water. I take both gratefully casting a glance at the clock to find it just after eleven.

Jonas notices my surprise and does the same, checking the time. "You were out cold for ten minutes at best. Etan left you on the floor while he escorted your... friend out."

I frown into my glass. "And you got hear that soon? Where's your brother? I should thank him."

When I lift my eyes, Jonas' eyes are narrowed. "Your friend was too drunk to do much of anything but whine that he missed you. Etan isn't normally a gentle man; however, your friend wasn't harmed. I'll thank him for you. I'm not sure he's up for... company at the moment."

I feel a little guilty for having disturbed his brother. If I had known he was home at the time I wouldn't have been near the damned door. I scrub a hand down my face and lean against the couch.

"Thanks." I sigh heavily. "I really want to thank him too. Maybe another day, I guess?"

Jonas' sigh is heavy. He shakes his head briefly then stands, shoving both hands in his pockets. An act I see him do often enough that it makes me wonder if he's imcapable of talking unless his hands are elsewhere; you know like some people have trouble talking without their hands? Anyway, I surmise that he wants to say something important by the pursing of his lips and so I tilt my head prompting him.